Re: Silent Death Online

by dftbat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Silent Death Online

★★★ Newbie

I played Silent Death Online through the EA platform and Mythic Entertainment years ago.  I truly miss this game and I wanted to know if there are any plans to bring it back under a new platform.  It had a very loyal fanbase and I haven't found anything like it since 2001. 

Can anyone help me here?

Message 1 of 6 (5,073 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

As far as I am aware there have been no announcements from EA regarding a type of game in this universe or let alone a spiritual successor.

That said, from researching a bit, I'd suggest to look into this game here: http://ringrunner.net/
Looks like some of the SDO community is hanging out over there now.

Have fun!

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (5,575 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

As far as I am aware there have been no announcements from EA regarding a type of game in this universe or let alone a spiritual successor.

That said, from researching a bit, I'd suggest to look into this game here: http://ringrunner.net/
Looks like some of the SDO community is hanging out over there now.

Have fun!

Message 2 of 6 (5,576 Views)

★ Novice

You guys at EA are seriously jokes. You've been sitting on one of the greatest game gems for over 20 years. Just give up the rights or name your price. You (EA) * the SDO community and now it's time for reparations.

Message 3 of 6 (2,619 Views)

@dftbat they owe nothing to anyone. The game was operating under a license from ICE (the universe developers, Silent Death being originally a board game). Currently the license for the board game is with Metal Express and there is no one that has the license for creating video-games, currently

EA can't do anything about it and the company seem to prefer to use the intelectual properties that were developed in-house or bought and avoid licensing, due to the whole legal headaches that licenses bring to the table in our days. And i certainly can understand that. 

I had a friend that played SDO back in the day and he loved the game, but he let it go. After all, there are over 20 years since...He still plays the board game, though.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 6 (2,603 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Thanks! That's the most informative response I've ever gotten. Kinda wish it was from someone at EA. I still hold a grudge against EA for overall corrupting the game and ending a legacy. The board game doesn't quite cut it unfortunately and I just won't be happy until the game is brought back or properly recreated. Star port GE is still in my opinion the best recreation but it's still not the same. Thanks again for the response.

Message 5 of 6 (2,590 Views)

@dftbat copyright and licensing are a mess in our days. And the costs of aquiring a license skyrocketed in the past 20 years. I remember the times when licensing a track for a game was quite low. In our days the same track is licensed at a 1000x what used to be in the '80's and '90's of the last century. 

The laws still need to catch up with the modern tech and world, as there are a lot of things that are just fragged. What worked 3 decades ago, does not work in our days properly. So until the laws will be updated to our times, situations like this will continue to happen. I doubt that it will happen soon, as for those things to change we need young lawmakers atuned to today's world's problems. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 6 of 6 (2,581 Views)