Populous: The Beginning Not Working

by MattyBees91

Original Post

Populous: The Beginning Not Working

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I've just bought Populous: The Beginning and whenever I try to launch it I get an error message that D3Ddpop has stopped working. I've tried running as admin with Origin opened & closed but it just keeps wanting to open Origin. I've tried a reinstall and I've changed the DirectPlay option in the control panel.

I'm not overly savvy when it comes to computer problems, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8 (7,841 Views)

Re: Populous: The Beginning Not Working

Community Manager

@MattyBees91 Hey, we don't get many questions about the game here, so perhaps this thread might be a better spot to check for potential solutions. It references some stuff specific to that service's version of the game, but it has some general steps that should help too. 

https://www.gog.com/forum/populous_series/populous_the_begining_crashes_on_launch

Thanks

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 8 (7,807 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you found any solution? 

I'm stuck on the same problem here, and can't find any useful info on gog

Message 3 of 8 (7,533 Views)

Re: Populous the beginning wont start

★★★★★ Newbie

How can i start the poptb without origin starts?, every time i try to start the game the origin launcher starts and nothing more happends, (sorry for my bad english), i think if i could only start poptb.exe maybe will be possible play, how to stop origin to start when i try to open the game?, when i try to play the game it only attempt to start the game and then suddenly stops and crash. i need help please.

stuck with the same problem too...

Message 4 of 8 (7,097 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also had a problem that The Beginning did't start.But I settled this way.

1 Right click the Populous The Beginning icon and select the properities, next  compatibility. 

2 /compatibility mode/  I didn`t  check.

/settings/    I checked  Reduced color mode>8-bit(256)color.And I checked  Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.

And I didn`t check Disable fullscreen optimizations and Run the program as an administator.

3 Push apply.And let click the Beginning icon.

I don’t know your computer will work with this.Anyway I wish you will go well.

Message 5 of 8 (4,729 Views)

★★★★ Novice

There are a ton of question from various users here, about trying to get populous the beginning working in these forums.

Ive been having the same problem, I just found something that worked for me, that is; it didnt get this version from origin working, but the guy has an alternative solution in his youtube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ_TkQIF00E&feature=emb_title

Message 6 of 8 (4,139 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I clicked the link you gave and found this in the forum and it worked for me and I thought I'd share it to save some headache for others. Thanks for the Link.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catpsyche
Posted January 17, 2019

Okay, let's try this Troubleshooting Thing for Populous:The Beginning in 2019. Let's see if we can update this waaaay better?!...

I'm Using - Windows 10. I cannot play the game directly from GOG, but I can play the game using the "popTB.exe" file. After Windows 10 automatically finds Direct Play and asks if you'd like to install it (for older games). To play the game go to your game files folder. Location on my drive is; Program Files (x86) > Galaxy Client > Games > Populous: The Beginning).

Find the popTB.exe file, right click and go to "Properties" > go to "Compatibility" > click "Change settings for all users" > *Check mark the box, then "Run this program in compatibility mode", then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)", and "Run as an administrator", click Apply and/ or Okay, then Right Double-Click the "PopTB.exe" file to run and play the game.

To be clear, this is the more pixelated or earlier version of the game, like Minecraft. I'm not playing this version, because it's totally unacceptable. When I played this at release in and around 1999 I played the better version even then, and that's what I want now. I've acquired this game many times through DL over the years, as recent as 3 years ago and had to alter the game files. Newer PC and using Windows 10 has altered the way to change files, even IF I had the way I changed them before. I did so by doing lots of research via Google Search, however I can't find anything up to date now and that works for me. Soooo, how do we get this alternate version/ file to work? Using the "D3DPopTB.exe" file Version to work that has much better graphics!? There are workaround for EVERYTHING!... Come on you, Brainiacs! Give me some solid, easy to understand facts that will work, for me, and others to come in 2019. And, Thanks, in advance!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 8 (940 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got it sorted @NamikaJean.

As this thread is quite old I will lock it to stop it being bumped again.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 8 (899 Views)