Re: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won't launch

by barash01

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

I am having the exact same problem. Please tell me you found a solution.

Message 11 of 19 (21,475 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

how is this considered an Accepted Solution? it doesn't address the issue at all

the demo works fine on windows 10 so it shouldn't be too hard to trouble shoot this, ill post back once I have a solution

Message 12 of 19 (21,393 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have the same problem, I run the 2 install disks but when I run the game with the play disk, I was initially asked for admin privileges but then the game refused to boot, for a few days I thought my play disk was defective but based off this I'd say it's a software compatibility problem
Message 13 of 19 (20,478 Views)

[ Edited ]

@bonzer12  It's the copy protection that is on the play disc. The play disc used SafeDisc v3, a protection that lost the support in the Windows 10 (along with other older protection drivers like SecuROM, Tages and StarForce). Microsoft recommendation was mind blowing, as they've suggested to use pirate copies....Amazing, right?!

Those drivers can be added in Windows 10, but you will need at least a basic knowledge in how the OS are working. 

You need Secdrv.sys (x32 or x64 version, depending of your version of Windows 10) file installed to be able to run the play disc.

Check this article on TechAdvisor and don't forget to thank to Microsoft for their brilliant idea and the marvelous suggestions. An easier method for adding manually the driver is here

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 14 of 19 (20,449 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It wont be on origin or anywhere else. The only source of the game you should believe is the CD version it is very hard to find but luckily I have had the CD in the closet since 2004.

Message 15 of 19 (18,002 Views)

★ Novice

I don’t know, actually. I sent it back after a while (bought it for my gamecube after that) and didn’t have time to see if any of the reactions actually work. But maybe you can try any of the reactions, hope they’ll work

Message 16 of 19 (17,998 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Most likely the disk is scratched. that happened with one of my games.

Message 17 of 19 (17,466 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

No, I checked that a dozen times and it couldn’t be that because it was a new one and it wasn’t scratched when i opened it. Think it was because it just wasn’t compatible the way it was, but maybe with one of these patches it is

Message 18 of 19 (17,463 Views)

★★★ Newbie
oh hmm. i have run through the files and nothing seems wrong then i started it up and said the Loadonce.scw was not working properly.
i am using the computer does anyone have the Loadonce.scw file i can copy.
Message 19 of 19 (12,216 Views)