Jane's USAF in Windows 7 x64

by Lord_EOD

Original Post

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Yes, its an old games and yes, not many people care about flight sims and yes, those like myself that still do care aren't many in number.

That being said, this is probably the best military flight sim I've played and ever since, nothing has impressed me or offered me quite as much fun.

That's not to say that titles like DCS: A-10 and such aren't good, some of them are really nice and well done, but Jane's USAF had the A-10 and hundreds or other flyable aircraft. I digress, however.

This title does not work at all for Windows 7 x64. In reality, it has never worked quite right after Windows 98 and even under XP, the menu systems (among other things) wouldn't work correctly. Fans of the title have released some homemade patches that even go as far as restoring full functionality to everything under Windows 7 x64 except the most important aspect.. actually flying.

I wish I knew more about development and programming because even with my limited knowledge, the "fix" doesn't seem like it would be all that complicated.

From what I've guessed, it seems to be one or all of the following:

Incompatible/missing directx files and dlls (the game originally used DX6).. probably a simple matter of updating calls here...

Inability of the EXE to address >2GB of RAM.. not like it needs it, but I think it misreports available mem, maybe a problem?

Recompiling for true 32bit addressing? Out of my league here, but even an x64 Windows should be able to emulate an x32 game. I own and play many titles that predate USAF and they run just fine.

I wish I had the technical know how to fix this myself and them make it available to the community which still enjoys this title..

If anyone can help or if any EA developer has 15 mintues to spare; please make an old man happy?

Message 11 of 49 (9,377 Views)

Re: Jane's USAF in Windows 7 x64

Hero (Retired)

Hi There!

Read through the comments here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MV6pb1LbHA

and perhaps google it... never know what you mind find Standard smile

Good Luck!

---------------------------。 ◕‿◕。------------------
►►► ✔ Please don't forget to resolve your question if this helps and Click XP if someone helped! ◄◄◄

Message 12 of 49 (9,374 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I've tried everything and have been searching online for over 2 months now.. I do IT, so my searches aren't light and they aren't quick.

My research has yeilded much; like I mentioned, getting everything (even the drop down menus) to work due to the great patching of someone names tackleberry over at Gulf Knight's site.

I'm trying to appeal to someone with real knowhow and developer level agility to find a real answer to this.

Message 13 of 49 (9,371 Views)

Community Manager

Hi lordeod,

I can understand your frustration. I also have a few gems I keep coming back to once in a while. Games that I spent a whole summer on back when I was still growing up.

I can see how one of the original developers would be able to resolve this without spending much time. Throwing a random developer on this will be harder.

My personal recommendation would be trying to look into any kind of virtual machines that can run these older OS. 

Worst case dual booting may be an option. The machine you would need to run this game will probably be thrown out by your local library soon so you could also consider just picking up an older machine for cheap and installing it on there.

Unfortunately this is really something that goes beyond the scope of what we can assist you with over here, but maybe some other fan of Jane USAF will find this thread and have an answer?

Message 14 of 49 (16,450 Views)

Adding Jane's F/A-18 to Origin

★★ Novice

So recently I have been adding old PC games published by EA to Origin, reason for I can get the newest version, and second reason so I can have backup copies. I have no problem adding most, since there are cd keys, for example C&C 3. But now I have a very old game that doesn't have cd keys at all. Jane's F/A-18, published by EA back in 1999. and I checked the box and manuals, there isn't a cd key anywhere. and it never ask me for a cd key when I installing the game, guess EA haven't start using cd key back then. But the problem now is how am I suppose add this game title to Origin if the game itself doesn't have a cd key? Now my copy is Asia-Pacific Edition, and I bought it when it first came out if it means anything. any help would be appreciated.

Message 15 of 49 (8,793 Views)

Re: Adding Jane's F/A-18 to Origin

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

If there is no code attached to the game then you won't be able to add it to Origin. The game is quite old so like you said there is a chance there were no codes for that specific game.

I wish there was something that could be done to assist but it's just not possible in this instance, without a code it cannot be added to Origin. 

Thanks.

~Rick.

Message 16 of 49 (8,352 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Then do you know how can I purchase a copy on Origin, I can't seem to find the game on the Origin website, in fact I can't find this game on steam either. lol

Hope I am not the only person in the world who have this game.

Message 17 of 49 (3,979 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Unlike the Commander and Conquer games, this game was never released as a digital download (from my understanding this was only ever released on CD-ROM). I checked the store myself just to be certain and like you said it is not there. This unfortunately means that you will not be able to buy it again or add it to your Origin account.

~Rick.

Message 18 of 49 (3,971 Views)

★★ Novice

Do you know EA will ever release Jane's Combat Simulation titles on Origin? I would love to get a digital version of F/A-18 in case cd fails. It is not on steam cause they say EA owns the IP, so steam is out of question.

Message 19 of 49 (3,961 Views)

Community Manager

@grimmort wrote:

Do you know EA will ever release Jane's Combat Simulation titles on Origin? I would love to get a digital version of F/A-18 in case cd fails. It is not on steam cause they say EA owns the IP, so steam is out of question.

I am currently not aware of plans to add the Jane's Combat Simulation titles to Origin. I assume that EA may eventually consider adding some of its back catalogue, but for now there are still things to focus on for current games.

Fingers crossed for the future though. Standard smile

Message 20 of 49 (3,955 Views)