Re: [Idea] Motor City Online

by abc1581248691

Original Post

[Idea] Motor City Online

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Recommendation for redo on a Classic

it has come to my attention through multiple gamers and gaming communities that a game is wanted back after EA took down the servers 10 years ago. 10 years ago gaming wasn't where it is now ESPECIALLY online gaming. With the current next gen consoles and PC hardware available today there is a game that has more potential than it did when it was released.

Motor City Online.

This game was marketed well before its time. If there was a game like that today with the current concepts of MMO's and free to play options, the money to be made is endless. Why not have that game back with the same kind of setup as say Old Republic? That game is exactly what car buffs/ gamers are looking for. There are literally thousands upon thousands of gamers who want this game back and with the programming and technology today that game could make "The Crew" production team look like a bunch of morons. 

Like I said its just a suggestion, but its just a matter of time before someone else steals the show when EA had the oppurtunity to right a wrong, and bring back a classic into its rightful time and place in gaming history.

Message 1 of 9 (2,833 Views)

★★★★ Novice

EA has lost touch with it's Gamers they are too involved in re-releasing the same Titles over and over with minimal reworkings and reselling the same game in a shiny new box. (Sims 1,2,3,4, Need for Speed (whole series), All RE-rostered Sports games.

I wish a dev that Actually has gamers in it's ranks that could recognize Motor City's Soul and religion would Knock off motor city or buy the rights off EA to push for it's revive And I also Don't want it to be free as 15 to 20 per month keeps the game on the devs. (Viable for Paid protection list)  with GM's that keep out hackers and keep the games spirits in tacked too many free games are ruined as it is not viable to salary a gm to keep them clean of cheaters and hackers ruining everyone's game and running off new players.

I am sorry but EA has lost my confidence as a good Developer they seem to only want to redevelop and re-box the same old sh$t over and over for their $$$. and as so they will never be the World of Warcraft dev. of the future Worlds Online Racing community.

so for now we must get our Racing Blood fed with real world city Street drags and Grudge matches At our local tracks and local stop lights.

And continue to turn to Jegs,Summit racing,PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) Catalogs for our  parts.

We must meet at our local hot spots to show off our builds and turn our gears for each other all in real life as the Gaming developers as of 2015 Haven't seen this vision in the cyber age as of yet.

It is a PITY that Way back in the beginning of the cyber World Launching 2002 someone had this Vision and Produced a game (Motor City Online)

premature for the cyber world as online games were just getting off and it's dev. dumped it for a vision they had and needed servers for (Sims Online) that was a flop for them. 

For a NEW Motor City online to be Successful and draw the Millions of real life Racers and spectators and gamers of the cyber world  in to take their racing and building dreams into a virtual world it would need to be devoloped by real world hot rodders and car builders so that they could bring in the soul needed to make the virtual game as Real as possible and help to Bring the ADDICTION of real world Street racing and Grudge matching or car Building to show off to the cyber world for the best reason there is and that's too...

Build or hire to build your dream machine so that you can drive it to the local hot spot show it off and race it with others for Money and Bragging rights or Just show it off for an ego boost.

or hire to build for others for profit all the pros of real world Rodding and racing or building and showing with the real world Cons Missing As in This virtual world it would only cost 15$ per month.

One thing I liked about Motor city was every part had life so even the big dog could break down and lose the race/ his $$ or even HIS RIDE. Wee Heee!!!

This is just my heart running a much again I'll let you guys go for now Thanks.

Motor City Online for LIFE Marci Quick.

Message 2 of 9 (2,808 Views)

My need for Motor City Online

★★★★★ Newbie

please read whole post before responding

Why won't anyone find a way to bring back this classic. It's the most unique MMO that i have ever played. It actually made me feel like i was part of a hot rod/ racing community. Much more diversity then even some games labeled as simulators. It's unfortunate it was developed when it was, if it was developed today it would be a epic hit especially with the free to play model. Not that i am promoting micro transactions, but this game would be a gold mind for EA as far as micro transactions go. how many of us would have paid $5 to get our pay check early or need a mega blower and don't have the cash.

One suggestion would be to use the orig game on tablet since the graphics would suite tablet gaming of today. You guys have pure gold sitting on some dormant server somewhere in that EA dungeon. I hope someone from EA realizes this and take my suggestion into consideration.

MCO didn't fail because it was a bad game it failed because of many complicated reasons at the time. One being internet quality/lag issues of the time. Needing major credit card to play and actually had fairly big community IMO for a experimental game.

I know I will probably get the standard reply, but doesn't hurt to try.. all i ask is you pass it on inside the company and maybe a super slim chance someone important will look at it.

i have been playing games better half of 30 years, collected over 2000 games physical games over many platforms and played endless pc games.
With that said MCO blows them all out of the water and would more than willing give my whole collection to be able to play MCO again.

Sincerely,

Hemibros

Message 3 of 9 (2,768 Views)

Re: My need for Motor City Online

★★★ Newbie

I was about 20 when EA dropped the best game Ive ever play! Going to the Auction house and placing bids on custom cams and used parts was brilliant. MCO was straight video game CRACK!!!! I've spent tons of money trying to find a game even close to MCO with no prevail. EA cant be this blind to not see what a gold mine they're sitting on. I'm a car guy I build cars in real life! and this came is the 2nd best thing to starting up on of my race cars for the first time. I spend months building a real car and can get a similar sense of satisfaction out of a game! Everything about MCO was so perfect. Parts had a run life so you'd have to rebuild ..... I truly miss this game!

Dave-

Message 4 of 9 (2,671 Views)

Re: My need for Motor City Online

★★★ Newbie
Love playing MCO. Would spend hours a day playing!!! EA Dropped the ball so bad on this game. It could of been huge!!!! Wish they would make it again or sell the rights so someone could bring it back right!!!!
Message 5 of 9 (2,522 Views)

★★★ Newbie

One of the most unique MMO's I ever played was Motor City Online. I played it when I was in Jr. High and High School and was one of the funnest games I had played. The game also had a ton of replay value and made you want to work on building a great Hot Rod or racer out of an old classic car. If this game came back out today with some update graphics and more car models I would most likely pick it back up too. I even have the original disk for the game. HA! 

Message 6 of 9 (2,396 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

I had pre-ordered the game frmo EB games and  bought it on release day but apparently there was some issue with Canadians registering accounts so I couldn't get on til day 2. Also unfortunately since I didn't have a credit card at the time I had no way to pay the monthly fee so I would play the hell out of the 30 day trial then buy another copy of the game and play the trial period again. I did all this on a 33.6K dialup modem and lag was an issue but it wasn't too bad. Not long after the game closed down, I remember reading that some of the game elements were reused for NFS Underground 1. One of the GM's of the game, Caddy IIRC, made a serious offer to buy the rights to the game and he wanted to operate it on his own but for whatever reason that deal fell through. I still vividly remember the last few precious hours of the game. Doing a 30 minute demolition derby (just trying to wreck each other as we never got a proper derby mode) on the tril oval track then running an 8 lap race at Goose Pointe. The final few minutes I spent donating 9 million in game money to someone who was trying to get to 100 million on the Uptown server before the game shut down.. Wonder if that dude ever made it? The final moments in the chat screen turned into a 'SAVE MCO' flood storm lol. Caddy tried to get in a few words but he was lost within the flood of people begging for MCO to be saved. Then, it was all over. Now after almost 14 years since the game closed down, why has this game not been reissued? The janitor forget to turn the servers back on? (anyone remember that joke from the forums?)  I suspect there's licensing issues involved with the manufacturer and car names. Couldn't they just like make up new names to get around any licensing issues? 

Message 7 of 9 (2,007 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am not a morning person, but when I was younger I used to wake up before school just to play MCO!  It was just such an amazing game, I'm pretty sure I still have the install disc to this day. 

I remember being a leader of a club, I remember doing fake demo derbys because they weren't in the game.  I remember saving up to buy a hemi cuda  in which I never modified or put any miles on it because I wanted to preserve it.  I remember being in a bidding war with someone for a chop top 1969 Dodge charger.  I remember losing my 32 coupe in a drag race for pinks slips, I think lag was involved in that race lol.

I remember competing for lap times in the red light district track.  It felt like the skys were the limit with this game.  I remember starting out with old 50s cars when I first made my account, I believe I had a 50s Cadillac of some sort.  I remember bidding on a 66/67 chevelle that had a rusty paint job, and cruising around in it.  I remember trying different exhaust systems/mufflers to see if they changed the tone of the exhaust which it did.

This must have been only one game of its kind that had parts that wore out as you put mileage on them, such a unique game.  I remember having an AMX, an 1970 El camino with nitrous.  I remember the 2 different superchargers, and 2 different hood scoops in the game.  Wheelie bars, amber turn signals, custom paint jobs specific to each vehicle.  I remember "Q" was the clutch buttom, "A" to shift up, "Z" to shift down.

Such great memories as a kid with this game, it was just terrible that they closed down the servers and didn't leave a way for people to play in single player.

I really wish that the servers could be re-opened and people could play the game again.  I'd pay to play this game, it was so amazing for its time, and still to this day I believe it would be a hit, if only they put it on steam or Origin in its exact last form it would be a hit for sure!

Message 8 of 9 (1,932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I remember when this game was released. I waited and waited too see if this game would become available in Norway, but it did not. Still, this is the ONE game i want EA to recreate. You have tried with the Need for Speed games, but i must say that they haven't really caught enough interest.

I agree with everyone else here that this have to be a goldmine that EA sits on. It's way more likely to be a success than recreating any other Need for Speed game. Standard smile

Message 9 of 9 (1,599 Views)