Re: Harry Potter old games

by ivrognard

Original Post

Harry Potter old games

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I would like to know if EA will ever add the old Harry Potter games on Steam, I'd really like to play them again.

Message 1 of 5 (566 Views)

@Anthony4799 EA can't use the Harry Potter license anymore. They can't sell, remake, remaster them or make compatibility patches for those games. EA lost the license many years ago and Warner is the current owner of the license. And Warner displayed no interest into the games developed by EA. No one knows if the Warner's license is permanent or given for a set time. But seeing how many years passed since they've aquired it, it certainly looks like Warner got a permanent license. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 5 (518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@ivrognard So these games are never going to be available on Steam, are they?

Message 3 of 5 (471 Views)

@Anthony4799 i don't think so. If Warner wanted to reach an agreement with EA, so the games would be re-released, they would have done so. But Warner never manifested any interest in the games made by EA. They prefer to do their Lego series and some poor mobile games based on IP.

Copyright laws are in a dire need of modernization. In my opinion, the games developed based on an external license should continue to stay in stores, get remasters/remakes/compatibility patches, while the devs/publishers would pay a percentage to the IP owner. Sure, the devs would not be allowed to create new games, if they lose the license, but at least they should be allowed to sell the game they've developed.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 5 (463 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

i contacted WB about the IP lisence,and they told me that my feedback has been submitted for consideration.

Message 5 of 5 (337 Views)