Re: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone

by adarose10

Original Post

★ Novice

I've recently brought the first 3 harry potter pc games, im operating on windows 10, the game installed and downloaded fine but when i try to play it, it comes up with user account contol message and even if i say allow the changes to the hardrive nothing happens, can anyone help?

Message 31 of 38 (4,245 Views)

Community Manager

@kirawood1997 What exactly does the message say?

If it is a case that you need to turn UAC on or off then you do so by following the steps below:

Here's how to turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off in Windows 10:

1. Type UAC in the search field on your taskbar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the Start button and choose Search.)
  2. Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
  3. Then do one of the following:
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click OK.
    • To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level of security and click OK.
  4. You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  5. Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.
Darko.png
Message 32 of 38 (4,192 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i have windows 10 .i've installed the first 3 games fine but when i go to open it it asks for permissions and i click yes then nothing happens. i've tried the compatibility troubleshooter but it doesn't work.

Message 33 of 38 (3,685 Views)

Re: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

★ Novice

Dear EA

I've just bought the first three HP games again because I really liked them as a kid.

They all've got their booklets and I just went ahead and installed the first game, I have Windows 10.

My problem: when installing the setup does not ask for the serial number code.

I can't open the game normally from the desktop icon. 
When opening the auto AutoRun.exe from the instal disc as administrator I can select play but then nothing happens.

I'll try to instal and play the second and third game now.

Hopefully that will work.

Kind Regards,

Robin

Message 34 of 38 (2,935 Views)

@BeerGeneraal sadly most of the early Harry Potter games had SafeDisc as copy protection. The drivers for said protection were blocked by MS in Windows 10, so any retail disc that is using the said copy protection won't install properly or at all (depends when the copy protection drivers where set to install: at the beginning or at the end of the installation process). The only way to use the retail discs legally is to have a dual boot machine (Windows 10 and Windows 7) or Windows 7 installed in a virtual machine. 

As most of the old copy protection companies of the old are now defunct, there are no updated drivers for Windows 10, so MS fragged all the people that bought their games in the physical media era. 

So, again, your legal options are dual boot PC with Win 10 and Win 7 or Win 7 in a virtual machine.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 35 of 38 (2,911 Views)

★ Novice

Sad to hear! 

Thanks for the explanation Standard smile

Hopefully I can het it working with a VM. 

Kind Regards, 

Robin 

Message 36 of 38 (2,902 Views)

@BeerGeneraal My solution was rather simpler. I've made a PC with some older hardware, installed Windows 7 and i've got a PC for playing my retail games. You can build that for maybe 500USD. I was lucky that i had a lot of my older PC parts, so i've managed to have a cheaper build.  

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 37 of 38 (2,900 Views)

Re: HP Philosopher's Stone and HP Chamber of Secrets won't play once installed

★★★ Newbie

hello,

do you still have the copy with no background music? I'd like to buy it from you

Message 38 of 38 (1,207 Views)