Error installing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone PC game

by FabCircleSky

Original Post

HP Philosopher's Stone and HP Chamber of Secrets won't play once installed

★★★ Newbie

Hi all,

I recently bought Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for my PC. When I've gone through the installation process, a pop-up comes up saying that I can play the games through a shortcut on my desktop. When I click this shortcut for the Philosopher's Stone, the mouse looks like it's doing something, and then nothing happens. For the Chamber of Secrets, I click on it, and a pop up comes up saying 'Please log in with administrator privileges and try again'. I'm the only account on this computer, and therefore the administrator. I'm running on Windows 7, and I know these games run on Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP, so I go to the control panel where it says I can run them on one of these programs. I try that, and again nothing happens. Can anyone help because I really loved these games when I was younger and I'd be gutted if I don't get to play them again?

Message 21 of 38 (19,674 Views)

Re: HP Philosopher's Stone and HP Chamber of Secrets won't play once installed

Community Manager

@xBarbastellex Hi there,

Even if you only have one account on your computer, it must still be individually set up to have the administrator rights. Please follow the advice here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Thank you,

Nils

Message 22 of 38 (19,659 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for replying - I've done that, and the pop up about the administrator thing no longer comes up. I've tried setting the Windows format in Compatibility to each of the formats that the games can run on, but still neither of them are working :/

Message 23 of 38 (19,654 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@xBarbastellex Hi again,

Outside of the compatibility mode, there are a few more things you can try: http://help.ea.com/en/article/getting-ea-classics-up-and-running-on-your-modern-os/

Next, make sure that no third party software interferes, the best way to do so is by running a Clean Boot: https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Additionally you should also check that your antivirus and any other security software isn't interfering: https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-can-my-anti-virus-software-interfere-with-a-game-installation/

Note that while the article is aimed at the installation, it still also applies for actually running the game.

Last but not least, we can try to look at your reliability monitor following the steps below in order to see whether the application crashes at start up:

1. Press Win+R to open the run box
2. Type perfmon /rel to open the reliability monitor.

This opens a window where you can click on the error's visually shown (white X in red circle) to find the latest one related to your games. Click show details and then paste the info that is listed in there in here.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 24 of 38 (19,652 Views)
Highlighted

Error installing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone PC game

★★★ Newbie

I am able to start the installation process on my Windows 7 PC but as soon as it gets to 50% (when it tries to download the character models), the installation stops working.  Please help!

Message 25 of 38 (19,567 Views)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone won't launch because of secdrv.sys.

★★★ Newbie

I have the unfortunate problem of the game refusing to launch. I've also found out the "secdrv.sys" security-authentication file is no longer supported on Windows 10 which has essentially borked thousands of games released before 2009. I have a legitimate retail copy of the game I (my parents) bought back in 2001. Anyone know a fix or a work-around for this issue? I want to play the game again, but the lack of secdrv.sys support is really messing with me and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to download a cracked version of the game (because that's illegal and unsafe for the computer}, and I don't want to download a shady VirtualMachine program from some random source. Chamber of Secrets has this same issue too.

Message 26 of 38 (19,457 Views)

harry potter and the Sorcerers stone for PC: No Sound

★★★ Newbie

I can perfectly play the game on my pc with windows 10, but there is no background music playing. Sound effects and conversations work just fine, but no background music. Any way I can fix this?

Message 27 of 38 (19,368 Views)

Re: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone

★ Novice

I've got the same problem. I'd bought "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" from a charity shop and when I'd got home I found out that there was no booklet which meant I do not have the serial code for the game. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I could obtain the code so I can run it. Also I'd would like the Legal suggestions please.

Message 28 of 38 (19,081 Views)

Re: Lost Product Codes!!!!

★★★ Newbie

Harry potter and the philosopher's stone lost code 

Message 29 of 38 (18,019 Views)

Re: Lost Product Codes!!!!

Community Manager

@sonasmuladach Did you lose your code for the game?

Darko.png
Message 30 of 38 (18,008 Views)