Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

by princessbecher

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Harry Potter PC games not working on windows 8

Hi, I got a new laptop with windows 8 on it and when I've tried to install the Harry Potter games (Half Blood Prince specifically) they just say "Harry Potter has stopped working" (which is a bit funny heheConfusedmileytongueStandard smile. They installed okay from what I saw, but I'm annoyed because not only do I have to start the games again on this new laptop, they're not even opening! When I click on the icon to open it my entire laptop freezes with the not working message and I have to force close my computer...I've heard from  other people that games don't work so well on windows 8, and as I discovered (much to my again annoyance) that DVDs don't work on windows 8 either because apparently i'm old fashioned so I don't download movies like most people ;D the man in the shop told me specifically that this computer is great for games and DVDs, which I now see he was just saying to sell me it...and I don't play all these modern games like I guess he thought I would.

someone help me pleaaaaseee, i'm a potterhead in need and i'm getting withdrawals!! haha!

Message 1 of 61 (32,306 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Harry Potter PC games not working on windows 8

Community Manager
Hi there,

For Harry Potter, as this is an older gamer there will not be any patches for it anymore. When this game was released, Windows 8 did not even exist.

There are some things you could try (e.g. disabling the metro user interface within Windows 8). From your description however it looks like you are only trying to play older games, not any modern ones. In this case you may be running into issues again and again as these older games have not been developed for Windows 8.

Now for skylight53, who is having issues with the Sims 3 - did you try the steps provided by Crinrict in your other forum thread yet? You can find the reply here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/SIMS-3-Map-View-Has-Black-Around-Lots-Game-Stops-Working-Tech/m-...

Cheers,
Nils

View in thread

Message 4 of 61 (37,819 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

HEY, I have Windows 8 and I am having a BIG problem playing The Sims 3 on it, I don't have Harry Potter, but your problem reminds me of mine.

So here's my story... my mom got me this computer so I can play The Sims 3 on it and we installed Pets and Adventures. Then I went in the game and it was dark around lots and map view looked dark and when I went to be a sim it would only let me play for a short period of time and then it says "The Sims 3 has stopped working" and it is SO ANNOYING!! I Got so PISSED OFF earlier I was actually crying and balling ,man... I was so upset. I am still trying to figure this out. I am wondering, is it my computer or is it the game? I am desperate for some answers that actually work. I tried calling EA support but they weren't even much help! Man this has RUINED MY DAY!!!! :mansad:

Message 2 of 61 (32,215 Views)

★ Novice

urgh i know i had problems with sims too, but i just downloaded them from origin and that seemed to work...but harry potter is an old game so they dont have it on origin!!!!!

i spent 4 hours trying to contact someone, when i eventually did get on to the chat thing, the person "Pawan M" said i would recieve an email shortly about fixing the problem, but i just recieved an email saying they've closed the case???????? 

EA customer support is terrible, once i can find an actual contact anything i'm going to write them such a strongly worded and angry letter!!!

I HOPE YOU'RE READING THIS EA, YOU NEED TO FIRE EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF YOU HAVE AND THEN YOURSELVES. NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I HAD TO DEAL WITH SUCH AN UNHELPFUL, VILE, MONEY-OBSESSED BUNCH OF CRETINS.

SORT YOURSELVES OUT AND GIVE YOUR HEADS A WOBBLE.

I'M FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 61 (32,211 Views)

Community Manager
Hi there,

For Harry Potter, as this is an older gamer there will not be any patches for it anymore. When this game was released, Windows 8 did not even exist.

There are some things you could try (e.g. disabling the metro user interface within Windows 8). From your description however it looks like you are only trying to play older games, not any modern ones. In this case you may be running into issues again and again as these older games have not been developed for Windows 8.

Now for skylight53, who is having issues with the Sims 3 - did you try the steps provided by Crinrict in your other forum thread yet? You can find the reply here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/SIMS-3-Map-View-Has-Black-Around-Lots-Game-Stops-Working-Tech/m-...

Cheers,
Nils
Message 4 of 61 (37,820 Views)

Lost key codes

★★★ Novice

I lost the key codes to Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows part 1 and 2. Can you please help me?

?

Message 5 of 61 (31,235 Views)

Re: Lost key codes

Community Manager

Hi, had you previously consumed them on any account? If so, check that account for the codes.  If you bought them digitally, it's worth checking if you have them archived on an old mail address.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 61 (31,232 Views)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince game play problem, HUGE

★★★ Newbie

A family member of mine recently bought this for me as a gift- 'Harry Potter Og Halvblodsprinsen' off of E-bay. It came with the key code, all was fine- that is, up until I tried to get to the part where Dumbledore takes Harry to the cave (to find the locket, yadda yadda yadda)- there's a cut scene you can't skip where Harry is staring at the Inferi (bodies) crawling up toward himself and Dumbledore, and he yells, "Sir, sirr!" and then it loops infinitely. The same small cut scene of Harry yelling those two words while watching the bodies crawl. I can't get it to stop, and I can't go back to a previous save, since the game only saves over itself. I'm at a loss for words, and am really not too happy about this. I'd love for this to get fixed. Please and thank you? 

--Rebecca

Message 7 of 61 (31,148 Views)

can't get to options screen to set sub-titles ON for Half-blood Prince wii

★★★ Newbie

With Half-blood Prince for wii, I start the game by choosing which slot and then it loads and goes immediately to the game and skips over the options screen to choose sub-titles. I am on an older wii. I have a little dyspraxia. Thus does other people have this issue or am I  bumping a button I'm not aware I'm bumping?

HOW do you get to the options screen while in the game play? At least this way, I can go back to the options screen if during start up, I'm accidentally bumping some button that makes me skip options. 

Thanks in advance! Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 8 of 61 (31,146 Views)

Harry Potter games and request

★★★ Newbie

Can we please pretty please with sugar on top get that stupid arrogant SIMS for Harry Potter game to the USA where I am the bloody idiot who requested it in the first place actually lives? ROFL I am the fool who wrote the request in British English, so they put out the game ONLY in England! Consequently, I've not been able to play it. :P 

signed discriminated against. :P

Message 9 of 61 (31,144 Views)

harry potter and the half blood prince

★★★ Newbie

hello ! I was just given the harrry poter and the half blood prince game sealed in it case , as I had never played this game before I started the installation process ( so far so good ) at the end of the  process, though, I got an error message as the  following ... "error reading from the file movies.big verify that the file exists and that you can access it .... retry or cancel " I have windows 8.1 and I really am no expert and need a sort of detailed explanation of how to fix that if possible ! thanks in advance Standard smile 

Message 10 of 61 (30,412 Views)