Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

by dianna1977

Original Post

Harry Potter 1-8 digital distribution Steam/Origin

★★★ Novice

Bear with me: I am trying to contact the publishers of the nine Harry Potter games based off the movies. The HP games I'm speaking about are: Sorcerers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Quid-itch World Cup, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2. I am a long-time collector and fan of these games and am aware that WB games and Electronic Arts are the publishers of all those. I apologize if I am wasting your time, but this could give Electronics Arts some profit. If you could investigate if we could bring these games to Steam (and or EA Origin) it would be most appreciated by both me and some of my colleagues. I wouldn't know if it would be up to WB or EA or both. I thank you for your time, and it would be much appreciated if you could give me any information back.

Message 51 of 65 (9,447 Views)

Re: Harry Potter 1-8 digital distribution Steam/Origin

★★★ Novice
Message 52 of 65 (9,425 Views)

Re: Where is it?

★★★ Novice

I was thinking the same thing. That's why I made this petition. Here is a petition link to try and get the Harry Potter games digitally distributed. https://www.change.org/p/wb-ea-add-the-harry-potter-games-to-steam-origin Not promising that it will work as ultimately it is up to them. I was contacted by them though and while they said they couldn't confirm or deny future releases on Origin, they listen to their fans.

Message 53 of 65 (9,407 Views)

Re: [Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets] LOST KEYS

★ Novice

when I load my game it shows a black screen and crashes help me please

Message 54 of 65 (8,555 Views)

Re: Harry Potter

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I was wondering if EA would reconsider selling the Harry Potter PC games on Origin or some other medium, considering Windows 10 completely blocked the SafeDisc and SecuROM games, which I believe the HP games were a part of. I think I've tried every kind of troubleshooting available but it's no use. I'd be willing to pay full price for the two games I own and can't play anymore, CoS and PoA, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Message 55 of 65 (8,399 Views)

Re: my version of harry potter and the chamber of secrets isn't working

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@Danydvori wrote:

I've just resolved this problem.

Just download new game.exe file.

Then open the system folder in HP location.

Open default.ini and edit it like this:

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=False
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=False
UseMipmapping=False
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=False
UsePageFlipping=False
UsePalettes=False
UseFullscreen=False
UseGammaCorrection=False
DetailTextures=False
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=False

It should work - in my case it worked. (I have Windows 10)

Hope it wil help!

This solution worked for me as well, thanks!

Message 56 of 65 (7,003 Views)

Re: Installation Error unable to open the game

★★★ Newbie

I'm sorry to inform you that getting your game to work again on Windows 7 is going to be near to impossible. You see Windows released an update, which I think was to the end of 2015, that stopped the game from working. Unlike most updates from several years ago, however, you cannot just delete this update to make it work or it will make your computer faulty. This update has affected several games which sadly, I greatly enjoy. The odd thing is, that out of the few harry potter games that run on a computer, this is the only one that seems affected. The only solution I can offer is if you were to partition your hard drive, I recommend no more than 200GB if you have to room, and put Windows XP back onto this.

Message 57 of 65 (6,788 Views)

Re: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

[Edited by EA_Mai: discussion of piracy is not allowed]

For those unable to play the game on newer operating systems:

Old versions of Windows contained a driver called secdrv.sys. This was used in conjunction with SafeDisc and/or SecuRom DRMs, which were both used as means of copyright protection for games and other media stored on discs. However, several years ago, SafeDisc was found to be a major security flaw, as secdrv is "embedded deep within the operating system" and hackers were able to exploit it to gain full control over a computer. Thus, SafeDisc was slowly abandoned over the course of a few years, with it being deactivated by default from newer Vista updates up to Windows 8, and it being totally omitted from Windows 10.

This means that most old games, like Harry Potter, will not work on newer systems, because they require access to the secdrv driver and SafeDisc protocols. This is also why running Harry Potter games in compatibility mode will not get them to run. The game will not run at all on Windows 10 for this reason (unless you manage to find some patches, which probably isn't a good idea and may not even fix the issue.)

If you are running Vista, 7, or 8, though, there is a way to re-enable secdrv which should allow the game to run after installation. However, I personally wouldn't recommend this as you are opening your computer up to hackers. If you have an old computer lying around, and are lucky enough to also have some Windows Vista or 7 installation discs somewhere (if your extra computer doesn't have an OS installed), I would recommend installing an older OS on an older computer if you can, preferably one you don't need connected to the internet. This way, you can safely enable secdrv. If you don't care about security or want to activate it temporarily, you can do this: open Command Prompt (Press Windows Key + R, type cmd, then hit enter), and type the following command:

sc start secdrv

and hit enter. If it doesn't work, run command prompt as an administrator and try again. If it still doesn't work, basically your only option is to download sketchy cracks or patches and probably fill your computer with malware. If you just wanted to enable it temporarily, enter the following command into command prompt to stop the secdrv driver:

sc stop secdrv

Hope I helped some.

For more information, take a look at these sites:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets

- Tips on accessing widescreen, VSync, fixing low frame rates in Windows 8, and other fixes.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/harry-potter-and-chamber-secrets

- Tips on upping the resolution of the game

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-play-pc-games-that-require-safedisc-or-securom-drm-on-window...

- Article about playing old games on new systems

Message 58 of 65 (6,702 Views)

★★★ Newbie
hi! I tried to install mt old harry potter 2 game for pc, frpm 2002. Understandably, the manual has been lost over the years and the shop, from where i bought it (Anttila, in Finland) doesn't exist anymore

what should I do?

I tried contacting your support chat, but it din't understand the problem...

Message 59 of 65 (5,396 Views)

Community Manager

@pswg_93 I'm not sure what the issue is, is it that you no longer have a product key?

Darko.png
Message 60 of 65 (2,991 Views)