Re: Dungeon Keeper 2

by sprklryan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dungeon Keeper 2

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Every time I try to launch Dungeon Keeper 2, an error message immediately stops me in my tracks.

"Invalid license. Reason code = Missing DLL: [weanetr.dll] Error:0x5" 

I don't know what it means, I don't know how to fix it, and I've googled my little heart out.

If anyone could give some suggestions on how to fix the issue so I can play this amazing, nostalgic as hell little game I've been dying to play since I remembered it an hour ago, I'd very much appreciate it.

ETA: I found the file in the game directory, so it IS there, which means I definitely don't know what the problem is. 

Message 1 of 16 (2,320 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

control panel -> programs -> programs & features -> turn windows features on/of -> legacy components -> direct play (select it)

click OK.

start the game 

View in thread

Message 14 of 16 (2,535 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Tex9888

Can you try clicking on the settings button (cog icon) and then Repair, this will check for damaged or missing files and can fix issues like this.

repair.JPG

Try that and let us know here if you are then able to play, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 16 (2,299 Views)

★★ Novice
I've tried the repair option and it hasn't fixed the issue, i also tried reinstalling origin itself, just incase, which didn't work either.
Message 3 of 16 (2,293 Views)

Community Manager

@Tex9888

Hey, I can see you contacted an Advisor (case #31021368) can you confirm your issue was resolved during that Live Chat please?

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 16 (2,289 Views)

★★ Novice
No, the issue is not resolved.
Message 5 of 16 (2,286 Views)

★ Novice

I just want to add that I have the same issue.

I already tried, repairing, redownloading and other things but the issue is persistent.

Strangely my Laptop on which I installed the game months ago has no problem starting it.

Message 6 of 16 (2,274 Views)

★ Novice

I am having this problem as well, and am disheartened to see there isn't a solution here. I was excited to play one of my favorite old games once I saw it was in the vault.

Message 7 of 16 (2,235 Views)

Community Manager

@sprklryan@Tex9888@Wittand25

Can you try the various Compatibility Modes available, this can be an effective troubleshooting step, particularly for older games like this one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Do post your results here, thanks.

barry.png
Message 8 of 16 (2,230 Views)

★ Novice

Still having the same problem. I've tried Windows XP and Windows 98 compatibility modes, and it's still complaining about a missing DLL that is clearly right there in the folder.

Message 9 of 16 (2,196 Views)

★★ Novice

I found that as long as I alt tabbed out and straight back in, it started to run again, so perhaps try that.

If that doesn't work you could always try editing the registry? I hear enabling windowed mode, rather than full screen (or visa versa - I can't quite remember) sometimes works. You modify the value but I don't know where or to what, so hopefully you're more computer savvy than I am, and can figure it out.

Message 10 of 16 (2,187 Views)