Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Download Failed - Repair Failed

by EA_David

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dungeon Keeper 2

[ Edited ]
★ Newbie

Dungeon Keeper 2 keeps freezing at the bullfrog logo

When i start the game up every thing works fine up until it shows the bullfrogs hand, it then freezes. i figured out that i can tab out and then re-open it and it will take me into the cutscene before the main menu. The real issue is when i get into the game. Its almost as i have huge frame drops but i know thats not the case since my computer can handle crysis 3 on ultra. Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 122 (21,459 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 mouse won't work

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

After trying to change registry and compatibility mode almost gave up but there is so simple solution to run this game. 

Just change your screen resolution in control panel to 1024 x 768 and mouse will work fine.

View in thread

Message 90 of 122 (19,407 Views)

All Replies

Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 keeps freezing at the bullfrog logo

★ Guide

lol that bullfrog logo. This actually used to happen on original game =/

Try compatability mode with high dpi scaling enabled.

Find exe on HDD - Usually under Origin Games 

Right click, properties

Compatability 

Disable High DPI scaleing, Desktop Composition, Run in mode for ugh Windows 7 start there

!Also disable origin ingame! Before anything else, Keeps happening after this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Reset PC - Then reinstall it. Sure it wasnt a major download =)

FYI Dungion Keeper -> Black and White -> Fable.

I prefer the steps we took to get there then the location itself =)

Message 2 of 122 (21,354 Views)

Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 keeps freezing at the bullfrog logo

Community Manager

@twogood2betru Hi,

Did you see the suggestions by Theseuskhan yet? Let us know whether this helps or you are still experiencing any issues afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 122 (21,345 Views)

Dungeon Keeper 2 - Download Failed - Repair Failed

★★★ Novice

So, thought I would relive some nostalgia after seeing DK2 on origin.

However when my download gets to 99% it then finishes 100% but says the download failed. If I try to repair the installation it also says download failed.

The game says it's completed in my library but when I launch it, it syncs the cloud data but then nothing happens. If I try to launch it from the start menu I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, file or path. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

FYI the game is under E:/Program Files (x86)

Running windows 7.

Thanks for your help/advice in the matter.

Message 4 of 122 (21,351 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Zuthilios Does running Origin as administrator make any difference? It migh also help to double-check your security software, to ensure Origin isn't being blocked. It might also be worth downloading Peggle (it's free right now) to test if the issue is affecting all Origin downloads.

It could be related to attempting to install on E:/, but for now it's worth checking the stuff above.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 5 of 122 (21,342 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_David Doesn't change anything, repair is still saying 'Download Failed'.

I have PvZ Garden Warfare and Peggle Installed on E and both have worked without any issues. Origin itself is installed on C along with Battlefield 4 simply because my C is a SSD.

Attempting to run the DK2 file directly as an admin I already tried and that still comes up with the inaccessible error.

Message 6 of 122 (21,333 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. If you have the space, can you try installing to C as a test? I suspect it won't be a factor, but best to rule it out.

If this has no effect, can you try restarting your machine in Safe Mode with Networking (your desktop will not look pretty) and see if this has any effect on the download process?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 122 (21,327 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Sorry, what do you mean by 'with networking'?

Edit:

Googled it, I'll try after a fresh download to C if it still doesn't work.

Message 8 of 122 (21,326 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Re-downloading and installing to C failed again.

Running in safe mode got the game to attempt to start, but all it did was open into a black screen and crash before loading anything.

Clicking repair installation in safe mode didn't give me the 'download failed' message but didn't fix anything. Now I'm back in normal mode and it's back to not doing anything when opened from origin and saying I don't have appropriate permissions when opened from the start menu.

One other thing, before, the game icon was the kind of icon you get for an unknown exe file. Now after opening it in safe mode the program does have the proper DK2 icon. If that means anything.

=(

Message 9 of 122 (21,321 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. From the evidence given I strongly suspect that your security software is blocking the game. Safe Mode will have zero 3rd party programs (including security software) running which could interfere, and the game seemed to start.

It failed and went to a black screen when it started, but that's perfectly normal as in Safe Mode your video card won't be active(part of why it looks so hideous).

For a next step, try restart with a Clean Boot,. This will disable most programs, and is very useful for tracking down interfering programs. If it works then, great, you can then turn on programs one by one until it works and the culprit is found.

If it still doesn't work, then I'd look at your security software(firewall and anti-virus). This can run even with a Clean Boot and will often block programs. Be sure to put both DK2 and Origin on any exceptions lists.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 122 (21,313 Views)