Dungeon Keeper 2 - No mouse and crashing

by frankie1001

Original Post

Dungeon Keeper 2 - No mouse and crashing

★★★★ Novice

I have browsed the other topics on this, which have been marked 'solved' even after multiple posts report issues and OP even says issue remains. 

Overlay disabled - no help

Change to resolution - allows mouse/cursor at main menu and allows gameplay to launch however once game starts mouse lags and trails leading to the game slowing to the point of being unplayable. 

Message 1 of 14 (1,645 Views)

Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 - No mouse and crashing

Community Manager

@frankie1001 To confirm the issue your running into is you don't see the mouse courser in-game?

Do you get any error messages when crashing?

Which platform are you playing it on?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 14 (1,620 Views)

★★★★ Novice

PC/Laptop - windows 10

No cursor at the main menu, once laptop res is changed to 1024x768 the cursor is then available to use however once campaign is loaded the cursor trails/lags and slows the game to the point of not working

there are no errors when crashing most of the crashes are at the initial game loading but the lag causes campaign to freeze you have to tab out and close the game 

Message 3 of 14 (1,602 Views)

Community Manager

@frankie1001 Can you try some of the steps below and confirm if this still happens?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 4 of 14 (1,565 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately after trying all that its had no effect, I've read elsewhere that it could be a driver issue or something but ive not properly looked into that and will later. Another community, one dedicated to the DK series, have multiple posts on the topic so I'll have to sift through there.

In game settings list the Direct3d as a fake device, could this have anything to do with it?

Edit: I found this youtube video from generalcrow, it highlights some of the issue, unfortunately the fix files are no longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgXTenBP9k&t=230s

Message 5 of 14 (1,550 Views)

Community Manager

@frankie1001 To check have you already tried different Compatibility modes in windows?

Illium.png

Message 6 of 14 (1,500 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes, tried different modes, 95 - 98 dont load the rest have the same issue with the game running extremely slow during gameplay

Message 7 of 14 (1,492 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@frankie1001 Can you try some of the workarounds listed here

[CM - updating link]

Illium.png

Message 8 of 14 (1,460 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Link doesnt work

Message 9 of 14 (1,444 Views)

@frankie1001 there are some solutions in the dedicated DK GOG forums. You might want to give those a try.

I prefer to use GOG for old games (EA has quite a few oldies there), as they try to make sure that those old games are working on newer operating systems and modern hardware. So try their solutions, one may work for you.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 10 of 14 (1,400 Views)