BPR may CTD due to extended ASCII in Windows username

by PapagenoX

Original Post

Highlighted

BPR may CTD due to extended ASCII in Windows username

★★ Apprentice

Hi, I posted about this in the big thread.  I and apparently others are getting a 100% repeatable CTD in Online mode as soon as Burnout Paradise Remastered tries to connect to the server.

At some point someone advised to create a Windows User account with no "special characters" in the name (no umlauts as in Björn, no acute accents as in René, that sort of thing--just straight unextended ASCII).  Since my User Account name contains the string "José" and since I'd recently run into a bug in Plex triggered by the same thing, I figured I'd create another account without special characters as a test.   I did so, not even an account with Admin privileges, et voilà, BPR ran fine.

Please, devs, check for this bug which disallows special characters in the Windows account name, and fix it if present. In this international age using said characters is quite common, even in the US and UK.

Message 1 of 6 (7,018 Views)

Re: BPR may CTD due to extended ASCII in Windows username

Community Manager

@PapagenoX

TYVM, I added this to the solution post here - LINK

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (6,936 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Thanks, although it's not a permanent solution--a patch is needed that actually fixes the problem-- no one should have to create a rump Windows User account to play a game.
Message 3 of 6 (6,919 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Just fired this up today and am still getting the 100% reproducible crash to desktop on "Connecting to Paradise City Servers" if in online mode under my normal username (which contains the string "José" and thus a special character) but works fine if Origin is in Offline mode. As pointed out in my OP, creating another username with no special characters fixes it and I can play online then, BUT THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE as a permanent solution.  We need a patch, and yesterday.  What, do you tell all your international customers to go pound sand, EA?

Message 4 of 6 (6,813 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Just tried it again today and this problem is STILL not fixed. Wow.

Message 5 of 6 (6,414 Views)

★ Novice

Salut,

Nous sommes le 10 juin 2020 et apparement rien n'a ete fait pour palier au problème.
EA j'ai acheté 4 jeux pour ma famille et 2 comptes Windows ont des é et ¨ alors faudrait s'activer!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

It is June 10, 2020 and apparently nothing has been done to alleviate the problem.
EA I bought 4 games for my family and 2 Windows accounts have é and ¨ then should be activated !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola,

Es el 10 de junio de 2020 y aparentemente no se ha hecho nada para aliviar el problema.
EA Compré 4 juegos para mi familia y 2 cuentas de Windows tienen é y ¨ ¡entonces deberían activarse!

Message 6 of 6 (3,004 Views)