[SOLVED] Dragon Age: Origins Loading Screen Freezing

by P0cketta

Original Post

[SOLVED] Dragon Age: Origins Loading Screen Freezing

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi. I tried searching this up but no other answer has worked for me or the question was never solved. I would really love to be able to play this game with mods installed and have all of the DLC, as I have played the base game on PS3 for years.

As the title of the ask says, whenever I try to start my game it freezes after 1 or 2 seconds of the loading screen. The music still plays and I can still move my mouse around but I can't get out of full screen mode. I would have to sign out of my computer (or restart it) to get out of the game.

The methods that I have tried are:

• Reinstalling the entire game
  • Verifying game files
  • Messing with graphics settings
  • Searching for mod patches to fix this (I have yet to find one)

This is happening both with and without mods enabled, so I know it's most definitely not the mods' fault for this.

My PC specs, according to my "about" info in my settings:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

Installed Ram: 160.0 GB with 15.8GB usable

64-bit Windows OS with a x64-based processor

Graphics Card(s): GeForce GTX 1050, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 with the 1050 being used for all video games

EDIT:

I have figured out how to fix this problem, even though it took me over 12 hours to figure it out, excluding the time I wasn't  working of course.

The game absolutely HATES multicore systems. It MUST be running on ~1 CPU or else it crashes and or freezes.

For reference, in case someone else has the same problem as me, you must do this every time you want to play the game in order for it to work.

1. Open game, let it load up the main menu.
  2. Open task manager using any means you want.
  3. Go to "Details" and locate DA:O's executable.
  4. Right click "daorigins.exe" and click "Set affinity"
  5. Uncheck "All Processors" and choose one processor you want to use for the game; it doesn't matter which.
  6. Set "daorigins.exe"'s priority to high, if you want.
  7. repeat process next time you want to play the game.

It's absolutely insane that I have to do this every time I want to play, but at least I get to play this old gem *shrugs.*

So, if anyone knows how to make the game permanently be using only one core, that would be great. Just explain how to do it in a reply or something.

Message 1 of 8 (13,382 Views)

Re: [SOLVED] Dragon Age: Origins Loading Screen Freezing

★★★★★ Expert

@P0cketta;  Dunno why your rig has this problem.  Mine is very similar to yours: i7-4770K, 16GB, GTX 1060 w/6GB, Win10/64-bit.

And I have never had to mess with the "cores" setting. Or any other system setting, actually.  No "Run as Admin", or "Change compatibility", or anything like that.

Message 2 of 8 (13,285 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@P0ckettaThis is an absolutely stupid thing you have to do every time you want to run the game. Like I get it, the game is old but the fact it get's "confused" on newer systems is a pain in the backside. All the more reason for EA/Bioware to do a remaster if you ask me. :-/

Message 3 of 8 (11,772 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

There is a video on youtube explaining how to make it permanent through a short cut.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e565VSxdVhY&t=171s  Unfortunately, this still didn't fix my issue, but I'm still working on it. 

Message 4 of 8 (11,661 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try running in compatibility mode . It solved it for me. 

Message 5 of 8 (9,609 Views)

★★ Novice
@P0cketta problem still exists in 2022 EA!! My issue was resolved by disabling GPU (radeon) in-game overlay .
Message 6 of 8 (6,600 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi!

How did you disabled the GPU? I never had any problem with loading the game, but since Origin became EA play, it never stop loading!!! It is freezed on the loading page and it is ANNOYING 

Message 7 of 8 (4,388 Views)

EA DICE Team
This is on the older side of time, I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Dragon Age please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 8 of 8 (4,027 Views)