Quitting DragonAge 2 Results In Windows 11 Breaking

by iAmDiBBz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Quitting DragonAge 2 Results In Windows 11 Breaking

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Title implies all that it needs really.

Ive tried checking with mods and without mods. ive tried selectively removing single mods from the game at a time. and after alot of forced shutdowns i can confirm its not a mod issue

I dunno if its because of the core game itself or the fact im limiting the amount of cores it uses via task manager. But it seems like a 50/50 chance of it happening and i cant for the life of me find any sort of resolution to this major problem. Because having to force shutdown the PC after every time i quit the game just makes me not want to play the game anymore

So what's the issue. Simple, Quitting the game results in a ghost process being left running. Even tho it only takes up 1GB of ram it has zero CPU usage. The resulting issue prevents me from opening any application correctly. The window will appear but will show as a blank white or transparent window like it failed to load. You can move the windows about and close them.

Nuking the task via tsk mgr does nothing. Same with the following sub processes like steam and EA, Cannot access cmd prompt to further advance in nuking the process because the window wont load, i cannot shutdown the PC nor restart. i click it and then nothing happens. Resetting the graphics driver (CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B) results in the driver not restarting. The only way to proceed from this point on is to force shutdown the PC via holding the power button for 3 seconds.

Desktop after game _Closed_

Closing TSK MGR only to reopen provides that it wont load correctly

Message 1 of 10 (1,342 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Quitting DragonAge 2 Results In Windows 11 Breaking

★ Guide

@Frantzen79 @Orkkongen @flatline22 

Just realized there was many more that replied after all this time.

but yea im still here. and i seen the email regarding a new post. and to update yous all regarding what has happened. i posted this issue on the dragonage subreddit and posted my fix for this issue

for a TL;DR
Essentially i installed a program called borderless gaming. you can find it github. and that had resolved my issue

As to why this issue happens. my guess was that because windows 10 introduced optimizations to windowed games to be able to make them play in fullscreen borderless windowed mode without any penalties it somehow made the game unable to shutdown correctly. and it was somehow corrupting the games process as well as a core windows process making the OS inherently soft bricked as you could no longer queue actions or tasks making it seem like nothing was responding AKA failure to open apps or task manager etc etc. so the only option was to hold down the power button to force a shutdown

when looking into the program itself it seemed like there was alot of negative discussion surrounding it on steam. but no one was sure if both of them were ever related. but after a virus total scan as well as installing from github it installed and ran fine without any issues. very minimal impact on system resources. no cpu usage and mabye 17MB of ram being used. and just to be on the safe side i put a block on both outgoing and incoming TCP network requests in windows firewall. and have had no issues since then

Hope this helps!

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (554 Views)

All Replies

@iAmDiBBz 

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that with the "Choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

Then preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode.

Make sure your virus scanner and other security software and also Afterburner and similar software is disabled.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 10 (1,324 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I hate to bump an old thread but did you find s fix? Have the exact same problem I can play the game for eight straight hours or 1 hour and when you exit out of it pretty much unable to do anything else at the machine but force it to shut down.

Message 3 of 10 (1,070 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Metoo... # Wink
Though it's with my Windows10. Frown

Message 4 of 10 (926 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I wont assume that OP will return to this post or even that anyone will find a solution for this (which is kinda sad, the game is still being sold).

But i can add that i also have the exact same problem. And i haven't done anything but playing the game exactly as it is, no modifications, no changes to anything.

Upon exit, it will not fully close down and as soon as you try to open or close any other application the OS will freeze and you have to press the power button to restart.

If anyone should fall upon this thread and have a solution i would greatly appreciate it though Standard smile

Message 5 of 10 (572 Views)

★ Guide

@Frantzen79 @Orkkongen @flatline22 

Just realized there was many more that replied after all this time.

but yea im still here. and i seen the email regarding a new post. and to update yous all regarding what has happened. i posted this issue on the dragonage subreddit and posted my fix for this issue

for a TL;DR
Essentially i installed a program called borderless gaming. you can find it github. and that had resolved my issue

As to why this issue happens. my guess was that because windows 10 introduced optimizations to windowed games to be able to make them play in fullscreen borderless windowed mode without any penalties it somehow made the game unable to shutdown correctly. and it was somehow corrupting the games process as well as a core windows process making the OS inherently soft bricked as you could no longer queue actions or tasks making it seem like nothing was responding AKA failure to open apps or task manager etc etc. so the only option was to hold down the power button to force a shutdown

when looking into the program itself it seemed like there was alot of negative discussion surrounding it on steam. but no one was sure if both of them were ever related. but after a virus total scan as well as installing from github it installed and ran fine without any issues. very minimal impact on system resources. no cpu usage and mabye 17MB of ram being used. and just to be on the safe side i put a block on both outgoing and incoming TCP network requests in windows firewall. and have had no issues since then

Hope this helps!
Message 6 of 10 (555 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the answer! 

I had found some more posts suggesting something like this and i had thought to just try and play it in windowed mode as i'd rather do that, than having to force shut my PC.

I might look into the borderless gaming thing as well.

I am always amazed at how big a pain it can be playing old games on new PCs lol.

Message 7 of 10 (546 Views)

Hero

I just tried it and I personally don't have this issue. Maybe it's hardware specific? I'm on Windows 11, Radeon RX 6650 XT, Ryzen 5 7600X.

@iAmDiBBz wrote:

for a TL;DR

I'm glad you found a workaround. Let's hope there will be a more permanent solution in the future.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 10 (541 Views)

★ Guide

@Fred_vdp wrote:

I just tried it and I personally don't have this issue. Maybe it's hardware specific? I'm on Windows 11, Radeon RX 6650 XT, Ryzen 5 7600X.

@iAmDiBBz wrote:

for a TL;DR

I'm glad you found a workaround. Let's hope there will be a more permanent solution in the future.

nope cause some people on reddit were having it as well with varying harhware. besides hardware wouldnt cause the ability to softlock the OS making you unable to do anything. that would be a software issue. you either have something specific tweaked that makes it not happen for you. also depends are you running it through steam or origin cause mine was on steam and i ran the game on a i5 8600k, rtx2060

Message 9 of 10 (534 Views)

Hero

@iAmDiBBz wrote:

also depends are you running it through steam or origin cause mine was on steam and i ran the game on a i5 8600k, rtx2060

That might be the difference. I tested it on the EA app.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 10 of 10 (506 Views)