Re: Possible fix for DLC not showing up in game with Origin installation. Note:

by Mulroin

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
First off all, I DO NOT use Origin client nor do I have to. If you had bother to read the previous messages I have the original disks from the collectors edition.
How ever I did uninstall the game and reinstalled it again from scratch. Before updating to 1.05 I implemented the stone prisoner.
What is a drag is that the map only shows the locations for running and past quests. So until I encounter the NPC that is supposed to hand me the Prisoner quest it will not show on the map. And the bummer here is he wont show. Sure I get all crystals and such but that doesn't help me further. And thats the basic off the problem in the first place. Everything is there but it just wont start. Pisses me off big time, specily if EA "helpers" don't know what your talking about sins the game is so old so they say.
Message 51 of 65 (15,388 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Mulroin; If you had bothered to read my response, I said "the only thing I can suggest to resolve your issue"  is a re-install using Origin. 

You don't want to take that advice.... That's on you.  I'm done trying to help someone who doesn't want to install the game the way the publisher has designed it to be installed.

Message 52 of 65 (15,373 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

The game was designed to be installed using the provided CD's. Origin is from later when EA had mayor problems with the social networks.

So I am using the installating as it is designed. Origin is a secondairy sollution from a manufacturer that doesent want to support a game anymore as concluded from my contact with the EA helpdesk.

Message 53 of 65 (15,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Over the eight years since the game's initial release, the methods of purchase, deployment, and installation of the DLC have all changed dramatically.  You are having problems getting things working in the current  environment.  Talking about how things used  to work is worse than pointless, it actively confuses things.

Message 54 of 65 (15,355 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm replying and heavily Necroing this because this is in the top three results when looking up this exact issue on google. Also, this conversation and entire topic has gone horribly off topic by the end but since it shows up often, a lot of people might still come to look into this.

Here's what I did that managed to get it to work. Not sure if all of these are needed or I just got lucky. These are in no particular order.

I installed the game fully through Origin (discs? ha!)

I deleted all of the previous installation and data that was saved from previous installs, both from other hard drives as well as the data/profile folder in C:/User/Documents/Bioware
       I quite literally deleted the entire Dragon Age folder in there.

I went into the install folder after all the downloads finished and deleted a couple of files and did a repair
I went into _Installer in the Dragon Age folder and ran both SetupAddins.exe and Touchup.exe

I also went into Dragon Age/addins and went through every folder. Every single folder that had an _Installer folder I went in there and ran Touchup.exe

After all of that all the DLC showed up under Downloadable Content in game. Again, not sure if all these are needed or just maybe the last step (After the 4th step nothing had changed), and again this was in no particular order. I mention the install because a lot of people are going to have trouble with that I feel as both Steam and Origin don't know what they're doing with the game. Steam had the trouble earlier than Origin from what I recall.

I think the Touchup.exe after doing the SetupAddins.exe goes in and adds the file but I think I had to do all the individual ones to actually get that to work. All DLC show including Awakening variants. Not sure what Cleanup.exe does however but I didn't play with it.

Hope this helps people. I think the big two were deleting the old stuff so nothing got confused.

Happy playing!

Message 55 of 65 (12,903 Views)

★★ Novice

Not sure if it is mentioned but to fix the dlc not showing up for me. I had to Locate the offers.xml file in the main origins dragon age folder something like C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Dragon Age\__Installer. Use that file to replace the offers.xml file in [user]\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings

Also make sure there is an offer folder with all the data in the same directory from the main origin game directory.

That for me made the dlcs that were triggered by the map to show up.

Hope that helps anyone looking for this.

Message 56 of 65 (11,283 Views)

★ Novice

Note: Origin-only install, no discs

After changing the account to an Administrator account, a repair did the trick with one click. Was able to return the account to Standard user afterward.

This one falls into "The Administrator's Hall of Shame". It fails to request the apparently necessary permissions elevation during installation. Then when attempting to use the elevated-required apps to clean up things while elevated, it also fails to recognize that it is elevated and attempts to install some portions to an environment that isn't really loaded rather than installing it all to the initiating user's environment and it silently fails.

NOT using Administrator for day-to-day activity is a great first-line-of-defense against malware. So, "The Administrator's Hall of Shame" is reserved for day-to-day applications that fail to install under RunAs/elevated permissions or fail to run properly under Standard permissions after installation.

Another EA/Bioware game suffers from a similar shame despite being a currently supported MMO. On that one, one can build an install package that makes Windows 10 "lie" to the application to make it think it has Admin privileges when it does not - meaning the application in question doesn't even need Admin access to run. It even updates just fine without having actual Admin access. It's the hallmark of sloppy coding. One might start to think that care has not been taken with the Bioware properties.

Message 57 of 65 (10,880 Views)

★★ Novice

@saitark Replacing the offers.xml file is also the only thing that worked for me. Thank you!

Message 58 of 65 (10,316 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

for every one who is still having problems with the Origin installation please try what D4rkpink did and see if that works for you. since i brought my copy of Dragon Age Origins (Ultimate Edition) from steam i have not had any problems with the dlcs.

Message 59 of 65 (5,296 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice
I just finished a very frustrating chat session (actually 3 chats) and found absolutely no resolution whatsoever. My problem is that my DAO Ultimate Edition included the collector's edition DLC (see attached file). I also had the standard edition which I guess had the promo dlc mentioned. EA customer service just referred me here and made me "hope" for a resolution. Wow. I don't think anyone here has the actual da.zip file for the CE promo items? 
Message 60 of 65 (3,946 Views)