Re: Possible fix for DLC not showing up in game with Origin installation.

by EA_David

Original Post

Possible fix for DLC not showing up in game with Origin installation. Note: Affects owners of the RETAIL version

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

IF my fix does not work for you, or you don't have a retail version, other options can be found HERE , HERE and HERE

NOTE: THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A RETAIL DISC, BASICALLY IT'S JUST USING THE RETAIL VERSION TO PLAY THE GAME INSTEAD OF THE ORIGIN VERSION.

Update: After restarting Origin, it started checking and updating files, changing it back into an Origin version. So changed one of my fix points. Basically just don't install in the same folder as Origin. Play it seperately from Origin.

Hi guys,

I'll start off with some background information about the situation I encountered.

(skip this part if you want)

I have an original retail version of Dragon Age Origins from years ago, and I have had some DLC unlocked prior to even getting involved with Origin (the program). So I've already had lots of plays of DAO before this instance.

I got sparked to play again, seeing as the newest installment is coming out, and the free offer showed up on Origin.

First off, for some unfanthomable reason, DAO did not even show up for me in Origin, even though I had it registered (along with plenty of content for it and other games) on the Bioware Social Network (BSN). (EA Customer Service even found it strange that this was the case)

So I added the free version into Origin, and installed the game. After this easy task, I noticed that none of my content showed up as unlocked in Origin, which was to be expected because DAO didn't even show up in the first place. An EA Customer Service representative gave me some steps to follow to as a possible solution. This involved manually downloading the DLC and adding them with the daupdater.exe located in the bin_ship folder.

This done, the content showed up in game as installed! It still did not show up as installed or available in Origin though. Nonetheless I though, oh well, it's in the game now. So I started playing. The Blood Knight armor was there, so I thought it was all good! Then I reached the part where you'd normally be able to access the new locations for the DLC (Warden's keep, Stone Prisoner), and the quest giver (Levi) did not show up in my camp, and the locations did not show up on the map. So I'm thinking, what the hell?

After searching and trying for a good long time, and trying **bleep** loads of options, I finally found something that made it work!

What I found out is that the Origin installation is somehow missing certain files(?), including the daupdatersvc.service.exe, which you need to have running appearently. (Are you reading this EA?)

Note: Since this involves installing a retail version, you will need the disc to play the game with this fix.

The fix:

1. Uninstall DAO in Origin.

2. Install your retail version with the physical disc. Do NOT install in the same folder as Origin!! This will make Origin update it back into it's own version!

3. Update the game to version 1.05 with the official patch HERE.

4. BAM, suddenly it works. (Make sure you log into your account in game)

Note: I'm not sure if this is important. But if during the installation you are NOT asked for your key to enter, make sure you have a key registered to the game. You can do this by opening the DAOriginsConfig.exe located in your "bin_ship" folder, and selecting the "game" tab on the left.

If there is no key registered, you can apply your retail key by using a progam located on your installation disc named "Dragon Age_code.exe" which is in the data folder.

I also noticed that afterwards, I suddenly see DLC I have not bought yet, as available and buyable in the game. (Which it had not showed before)

Hope this has helped some select few who had this possibility!

Cheers,

pink

Message 1 of 65 (84,225 Views)

★★★ Novice

You sir are a star...

What we are saying here is that Origin have screwed things up and dont know how to fix it, marvelous.

All installed and about to start playing again :D

Message 2 of 65 (83,986 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks!

I think this might only be a problem for people who already had the (retail) game with DLC unlocked on the BSN and are trying to migrate it into Origin.

If people just get the game on Origin for the first time it probably works through unlocking DLC there...or all the other fixes might work for them =]

I also noticed that if you patch the 1.05 patch manually over the Origin version (which is already v1.05), those game files return, but Origin gives you a big fat NOPE error when you try to start the game =p

Message 3 of 65 (83,971 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I don't suppose any EA representative could comment or sticky this in case it could provide a solution for some people? =]
Message 4 of 65 (83,967 Views)

★★ Novice
I have gone through hell trying to get this to work, I have the same problem as you. Unfortunately for me, my DA:O UE disks are scratched beyond repair. I contacted help and was told to install the 1.05 patch through Origin, which not only didn't allow me access to the DLC in-game but completely broke my Origin installed version of the game. After doing this twice ( and having to re-download the game 3-4 times ) I have finally given up on being able to access my DLC ever again. All I want is for them to admit they have **bleep** up and fix it. When I download the game files from EA's Origin servers one would expect them to work properly, and after searching the web only to find THIS thread even referencing something that resembles my problem I have lost all hope of getting to play DA:O with all the DLC that I PAID for before the third installation come out. Which until this problem is fixed, I'm not holding my breath, is something I will not be purchasing.
Message 5 of 65 (83,918 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Yeah, scratched discs kind of make my suggestion useless =/
And the Origin version is just plain broken in combination with our previously-bought-DLC =/
Message 6 of 65 (83,909 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for the great post, I'll pop it up as a sticky.

One thing to note is that if someone has a mix of old and Origin DLCs and things look irrevocably mixed up, they can contact support using the steps below. They can check your DLC and old entitlements and duplicate them to Origin, where they should work more smoothly.

https://help.ea.com/article/welcome-to-the-new-and-improved-ea-help-center#contact

Note for those with the Origin version, the 1.05 patch can break it. If this has happened, right-click the game in Origin and choose the repair option.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 65 (83,876 Views)

★★★ Novice

Please do sticky D4rkPink's fix, it worked for me where the support team couldnt, from what I can tell there are a LOT of people that whatever Origin did at the game has affected, if we can provide ANY help to them, lets do it!

Message 8 of 65 (83,869 Views)

★ Apprentice

Basically what happend is, they realsed new version of the game that hanldes the DLC through Origin. But Origin doesn't have all the DLC yet so only those that are on Origin will work. If you want all the others, you'll have to install the game from the disc. 

EA_David: That won't work, they can't migrate all my DLC to Origin because not all of the DLC are on Origin as of now. 

Message 9 of 65 (83,858 Views)

Re: Possible fix for DLC not showing up in game with Origin installation. Note:

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have had the exact some issue with the free origin version vs a retail version that I registered with Bioware way back when.  Anyway, tried this solution.  I installed DAO to a seperate file on drive C, but if I log into origin to play another game it tries to corrupt the install again.  Also, my downloadable content is showing up as incompatable ( the red explanation mark, I have a lot of it) regardless of whether I have the correct version.  I'm getting tired of uninstalling, reinstalling, manually installing.  Is there a way to disable the origin version of DAO?  It wont stay uninstalled.

Well, I guess the red explanation mark doesn't mean anything anymore, I just had to start the downloads.  The Origin version I downloaded for free is still trying to muck with my retail install.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I need to try and play it now.

Message 10 of 65 (83,834 Views)