Possible Solution: "Invalid License- Missing DLL d3dx9_36.dll Error 0x7e"

by JCPhoenix83

Original Post

Possible Solution: "Invalid License- Missing DLL d3dx9_36.dll Error 0x7e"

★★★★ Novice

I know this is years late for some, but for any others like me who love replaying Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II (via Origin just because all our DLC is there) over the years on newer PCs, this may still help you. It helped me.

Searching the subject error was getting me nothing but posts about NVIDIA Phyxs drivers, etc., which weren't fixing anything because NVIDIA added their Phys_X to their gameready drivers years ago. You can't even install an older version of it without fully uninstalling your entire video driver suite, and that's just not a good solution. If that fix still works for some, cool; it didn't do anything for me.

Here's what fixed the issue, for both games, in all of three minutes for me:

Download the older Direct X (9, 11, etc.) libraries from Microsoft by following this link, ensuring English is selected in the language dropdown, and hitting the big orange button:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35

Now, install that download.

Don't reboot, don't sign out, just try and open either Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age II again with the libraries installed. If you're like me, both games will suddenly start working with no issue.

Enjoy, I hope this helps all the fellow gamers who have been scouring Google for answers.

Message 1 of 5 (2,863 Views)

Re: Possible Solution: "Invalid License- Missing DLL d3dx9_36.dll Error 0x7

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks man, you saved my game!

Message 2 of 5 (2,338 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

You are INCREDIBLE! This 100% fixed DA:O after trying and failing to figure out the Physx route! TYSM

Message 3 of 5 (2,114 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you...

This fix is what did it for me..

I can now play the game again.

Message 4 of 5 (1,497 Views)

Community Manager

Hey Everyone,

Happy to see that these steps have worked. As this thread is getting older, I am locking it down. If you run into this issue again, please create a new thread so we don't necro the post and we can start tracking any new issues.

Thank you all!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 5 (1,488 Views)