Re: Is Steam purchase redundant?

by Kenny32673

Original Post

Is Steam purchase redundant?

★★★ Novice

I currently own Dragon Age II (among other games now on Steam) on Origin, but would prefer to have them easily accessed in my Steam library instead. I've already spoken with EA help staff and it seems that I can't simply transfer the rights to the game I already own to another platform, so now I'm contemplating getting the game again while it's on sale.

However, since your Steam account and your Origin account have to link together in order to play the game, I have a couple questions:

1) Would this count as two copies of the same game in my Origin account, and would they share save data and the like?

2) I also saw in the FAQ that you can purchase DLC through Origin for Steam-purchased games. So if I got DAII on Steam, all of my Origin DLC purchases would apply, is that correct?

Message 1 of 5 (1,438 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same situation here.

Also how come that i can purchase DLC bundle on steam cheaper than in origin (with basic vault account!)?

Message 2 of 5 (1,352 Views)

★★★ Novice

That's just a temporary sale. Though it took EA nearly a decade to bundle all the DLC and allow us to buy it with regular currency instead of arbitrary Bioware points.

Message 3 of 5 (1,342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

While I realise this was a month ago and you may have your answer I'll answer it anyway:

Yes buying it again would be redundant - all you'll really get for your money is an entry in your Steam library. In terms of differences between new Steam and Origin versions - there are none. Both still need Origin to run. The original Steam version from 2012 doesn't require Origin.

Save games will work across all versions yes as they did before. All DLC already owned on Origin will work on the new Steam version (and the old Steam version for that matter though you had to download the installers yourself and install them manually) and you won't need to buy the DLC again on Steam.

You would have two entries in your Origin library yes - the Steam version will be labelled as such so you can tell which is which.

As a side note, as somebody who bought it on Steam back in 2012 before it got removed from sale on there and then redeemed the key on Origin I now have two entries in my Steam library and Origin library.

Message 4 of 5 (1,252 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@staindgrey It really comes to what you like, I had DAI on my Origin account but got it on steam anyway, cuz I wanted to have it there and use it on my profile, it sounds stupid, but do whatever you like.
Message 5 of 5 (1,182 Views)