Re: Why isn't my solution for Dragon Age: Origins downloaded posted as a self-help answer?

by squirrelyvvrath

Original Post

How to fix some DLC issues

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I recently had support issue 10045712 opened for me.  I worked with three support technicians on the problem.  I've come up with a Knowledge Base article that fixes the issues I encountered and verified the fix with a clean Dragon Age Origins installation.  I've enclosed the instructions below.  Please also open up the following bugs against the development team for the following issues if you can repro the bugs:

1.) In game content downloader for Dragon Age: Origins 1.05 patch fails to download unlocked DLC content. (eg - user unlocks the content outside of the game and then launches the game to download it).

2.) Failed downloaded content in the in-game downloader should be removable at the user's discretion.

DRAGON AGE ORIGINS DLC & PROMO ITEMS DOWNLOAD FIX:

1.) Log in to http://social.bioware.com with your user profile.
2.) Select My Games -> Your registered game content.
3.) Each piece of Dragon Age Origins & Dragon Age Origins: Awakening content has an orange link titled "Download", "Download (standalone) - PC", or "Download (standalone) - Mac."  Click the link to download the file locally for each piece of Dragon Age content you own.  If you don't see a Download link select "More Info" and scroll to the bottom of the window; then select the download link.
4.) Next clear out all existing Dragon Age Origins downloads and ads with the instructions on this link: https://help.ea.com/article/my-dragon-age-origins-dlc-is-unauthorized-or-not-there . Follow the instructions under "If the problem still persists you may want to try the following;" This step will delete all existing downloaded Dragon Age content and ad banners; but more importantly, it will remove the failed download entries from the in-game content loader.  If you skip this step, you will still see the failure messages even though the content might already be successfully installed on your system.
5.) Click on each downloaded executable file from step three to install the premium DLC.
6.) Go to the root folder where the Dragon Age Origins game is installed.  Go to the child folder titled "bin_ship" and execute "daupdater.exe." This will launch the GUI Dragon Age Installer app.
7.) Point daupdater.exe to the folder container the .dazip files you downloaded in step 3.  Shift-left click all the files to highlight them in blue.  Then click Install.
8.) Close daupdater.  The game should be fine at this point.
9.) If these steps don't work then keep your locally downloaded copies of the Dragon Age add-ons from step three.  Uninstall Dragon Age Origins, reinstall the game followed by the Awakening Add-on pack (if applicable) and the 1.05 patch.  Then follow the instructions from steps 5-8.  This will skip the in-game content downloader at launch because all the content is already installed on your system.

Message 1 of 20 (69,465 Views)

Re: Why isn't my solution for Dragon Age: Origins downloaded posted as a self-help answer?

★★★★★ Expert

You need to send a PM to EA Ursula or another of the moderators at AHQ, unless you are talking about something other than a sticky. 

Message 2 of 20 (69,292 Views)

★ Apprentice

Interesting.

This way does indeed work perfectly and doesnt show the DLC still in the ingame availble to download area.

Question: Do we have to find the offer files for some of the DLC and install them manually too or do the DLC work correctly without them?

Message 3 of 20 (69,288 Views)

★★★ Novice

How does this work on Windows 8?  I get to about step 4, but then when I try to install in step 5, all I get is a popup that asks if I want to open it with the updater.  When I click yes, the popup comes up.  Every time I click, it returns, and nothing happens.  What's going on?  How do I install the content I downloaded?

Message 4 of 20 (69,281 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@jtbehnke wrote:

How does this work on Windows 8?  I get to about step 4, but then when I try to install in step 5, all I get is a popup that asks if I want to open it with the updater.  When I click yes, the popup comes up.  Every time I click, it returns, and nothing happens.  What's going on?  How do I install the content I downloaded?

And now, squirrleyvvrath@squirrelyvvrath you know why your [SOLUTION] is not accepted as authoritative.

Just because it worked for you, and even (perhaps) for a majority of those experiencing this issue, does not mean it's [THE ANSWER].

[EDIT] I also have some work-arounds for various problems introduced by the EA/Origin client over the past couple of months.  But they aren't simple, won't work for everyone, and require a degree of intestinal fortitude on the part of the player that may exceed that of most.  So they aren't tagged as [SOLVED] either!  Confusedmileywink:

Message 5 of 20 (69,229 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's impossible for me to test on Windows 8 because I don't own a copy of it.  Also, I'm not being paid by EA to test solutions on all their supported platforms.  That's what the Quality Assurance function is for in their company; which based on results, doesn't seem to have this covered in their test matrix.

It *is* valid for me to complain when:

1.) I'm forced to use online tech support multiple times.

2.) The tech support team doesn't supply a working answer.
3.) I come up with a good fix and it still doesn't get documented.

To their credit, many of the articles I read or was referred to skirted around the work-around I suggested but I had to collate an approach from several different articles.  Since their tech support team was unaware of this approach it should  be documented. 

Remember I talked to three different techs and this is a problem that's still impacting the community.  I even went through the effort of taking a first crack at writing up the article to help them out.  I can't expected to do more that for EA.

Message 6 of 20 (69,194 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also admit that the work-around doesn't fix the in-game downloader.  All it does is is eliminate the failed download message by clearing out the existing downloads and using the manual command line updater to add the promotional items and paid DLC to the game.

Considering EA tech support had me uninstalling and reinstalliing the game just to try the in-game downloader and watch it fail again I think I'm justified in my observation they don't have all potential work-arounds documented.  EA's outsourced the support function so it's important to write down all viable workarounds to improve a customer's chances of getting a solution to their problem; preferably on the first try.

Message 7 of 20 (69,195 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Here's some things to try for Windows 8 downloads.  Please post back if any of these work.

1.) Make sure you have file downloads enabled in Internet Explorer.

Click on the cogwheel in the top right corner.  Pull down the menu for Internet Options.  Click the tab marked Security.  Click the Custom button and go to the section named Downloads.  Select the Enable radio button under File Download.

2.) If downloads are blocked for just one or two sites you could add them to the browser's list of Trusted Sites.  Click the green tick, then Sites, and paste the URL into the "Add this website to the zone."

3.) Have Internet Explorer 10 behave like an earlier browser version.  Select "F12 Developer Tools" from the cogwheel dropdown menu.  Click on "Browser Mode: IE10" and choose a lower browser level.

Message 8 of 20 (69,185 Views)

★ Novice

I noticed it started to happen after they removed the DA:O launcher, also there is no DAupdate service installed

Message 9 of 20 (66,187 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

What squirrely posted is an old problem, known since release. I've had to resort to it myself a couple of times. First of all, it can be necessary to have it Run as admin, DAUpdater.exe.

Secondary, the old DAUpdaterservice.exe (or however it was called) - it no longer seems to exist, at least on Origin. So downloading ingame is no longer possible, because you needed exactly that service. And they apparently didn't bother to replace it with something else, while Origin's counterchecks make no sense - it's still missing a lot of DLC, and saying I don't have some DLC that I in fact have.

Third... ensure the .DAZIP-files get downloaded as what they are, DAZIP. Depending on your settings and system it might annoyingly convert it automatically to .ZIP-files, which won't work.

If you manage to get to the old forums, you also can find an long help list there in the Tech forums... An stickied thread which they didn't bother to convert to Answer EA, yet is as helpfull as it can be, which contains information regarding a long list of possible errors etc and solutions. Personally, my cookies atm prevent me from returning to the old forums, but there are still ways.

Message 10 of 20 (66,012 Views)