Re: This game will not run in a virtual environment

by roman_holzner

Original Post

This game will not run in a virtual environment

★★★ Newbie

When I try to launch EA games via my Xbox GamePass Ultimate account, I get an error message that reads "This game will not run in a virtual environment." Microsoft tech support has been worthless since they insist that I'm trying to run a console game on a PC. I'm attempting to run the PC version on my PC. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game. I've run the EA app in administrator mode. I've updated all the Windows updates. No luck.

I tried contacting EA tech support. All I get is an email link that is supposed to launch a live chat, but it just launches another email submission.

My computer is a Surface Pro 7+ running Windows 11.

Any ideas on how to get around this error?

Message 1 of 5 (1,701 Views)

Community Manager

@indigohalo 

It is likely your machine is managed by your school, organisation etc. and has some virtualisation based security that you will not be able to turn off.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Dragon-Age-Games/Dragon-Age-2-not-working-quot-this-game-will-not-ru...

We are unable to assist if this is the case, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 5 (1,675 Views)

Dead space 2 activation error

★★★ Newbie

Current prob, before EA App on surface pro 7 i7 i could happily play all of dead space 1, 2, 3 however as of windows 11 2h22 update and EA App, dead space just gives me the finger saying im on virtual machine, ps all virtual services are disabled, no such option is on system, the game is just high thinking im on virtual platform.

Message 3 of 5 (1,672 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi EA_Barry,

I get the same error on "Surface Laptop Studio" with "RTX 3050 Ti Laptop".

No virtualization, tried to deactivate HyperV, disabled Security Software and Microsoft Virtualization Based Security, problem persists and game doesn't start.

Message 4 of 5 (1,619 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@EA_Barry @roman_holzner the exact same problem. I'm sure there is some virtualization and I tried everything to turn them off, still no use. This is a personal Surface Pro 2 Laptop, so no org management of security.

So can you tell me for Windows 11 what exactly I need to do to turn off all virtualization for YOUR app to understand that this is not a virtual environment and play the game I paid for?

I used to be able to play on Origin until last week but you disabled that too. I need more options than the EA desktop app to play this game.

Message 5 of 5 (1,414 Views)