Re: Upcoming Game Balance Changes

by nupjutsu

Original Post

Upcoming Game Balance Changes

EA C&C Team

Hey Commanders. This is Greg Black, lead combat designer for C&C: Rivals. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a long time C&C fan and designer. I previously worked on Red Alert 2: Yuri’s Revenge, Generals, Zero Hour, C&C 3, and Red Alert 3, and more recently Starcraft 2. But enough about me, let’s talk about Rivals.

We are currently learning a ton about the state of the game’s balance and are looking to make some high-impact changes in the very near future. Before we finalize our first Pre-alpha balance patch, I wanted to give you guys some heads up as to what we’re looking at.

Currently, we’ve focused our sights on:

- Nod is currently doing too well against GDI in cross-faction play. We have several theories on why this is, but we are still actively investigating it and haven’t reached any firm conclusions yet.

- Double Harvester openers are overly strong and too difficult to punish. We will be looking at potentially tweaking the economy ramp to make this less viable as well as increasing some of the “punishment” for losing a harvester.

- GDI Sandstorms are too difficult to counter with low-cost infantry. The Sandstorm’s high rate of fire make them overly efficient at countering enemy infantry. We are likely going to nerf the Sandstorm’s damage vs infantry to address this.

- Nod Flame Troopers are overly effective against light vehicles. GDI doesn’t have a ton of units to counter them at low levels that aren’t also infantry or light vehicles. Decreasing Flame Trooper damage vs vehicles will make the Nod Buggy and GDI Rhino more effective counters against them.

- Nod Cyborgs are overly efficient for cost and difficult to counter at lower levels. We don’t necessarily believe the Cyborgs are too strong per se, but rather that they are too inexpensive and easy to spam. There are also some second-order counter relationships (i.e. the things you can build to kill the Cyborgs are easily dealt with by Flame Troopers & Drill Pod) that we are concerned with as well.

-Tech Lab / Temple of Nod (Tier 4) units are generally a bit too inexpensive. Our intention is not for games to turn into Tier 4 Epic spam, but we do want Tier 4 units to feel powerful and meaty. Right now, we think either the economy is ramping too much or the Tier 4 units are just a bit too inexpensive. Expect some cost tuning on them in the near future.

It’s awesome to finally have real players in the game. Expect balance changes to be coming fast and often as we absorb all your feedback and analyze the incoming data. If we’ve missed things you feel are important, let us know in the forums, Twitter, Discord, etc. During this early Pre-alpha period, you truly have a chance to shape the game alongside us. Your feedback and participation are invaluable as we tune and balance the game, and our goal is to make it as fun and fair as possible for you.

“Follow us on Twitter @CNCRivals for the latest news, tips, tricks and videos of the game: https://twitter.com/CnCRivals.”

-Greg and the C&C: Rivals Combat Team

Message 1 of 26 (5,168 Views)

★★ Novice

Love to see changes coming so quicklyStandard smile 

Message 2 of 26 (5,093 Views)

★ Guide

Sounds good, and much faster than expected, can't wait to see how these changes impact the game

Message 3 of 26 (5,077 Views)

★★★ Newbie
The two Commander's Lt. Strongarm & Dr. Liang need a balance update as well. The turret is too effective for 40 and the heal is too slow for such a fast paced game.
Message 4 of 26 (4,929 Views)

★★★ Novice
I agree with tier 4 changes. They need to feel substantial on the battlefield and not so disposable.

Maybe having the second harvy cost 80 instead of 60 might help with double harvy openings?
Message 5 of 26 (4,908 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Has the Rockworm been looked at ? Maybe I'm the only one but I can't counter It.. I had the game won, all three points captured 200+ resources. My opponent spawns a rockworm and it one hits everything I throw at it.. This cant be working as intended?!

Message 6 of 26 (4,671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@bolshieIt probably does need a nerf, I'm hoping for a delay on how long it takes to reburrow personally, but we also have to see how it does being delayed along with all other temple units.

In the meantime the best counter to it is to be watchful, move units out of the way, and kill it from the air or with cyborgs/zone troopers/titans/things with more than one range, its biggest weakness right now is that it has basically no line of sight while burrowed and thus can be easily ambushed if their controller doesn't use them cautiously.

Message 7 of 26 (4,630 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi.  Spamming tier 4 units is due to an over flowing economy with no way to spam low tier units.   Countering cyborgs or zone troopers with low tier units end up choking production.

If we can increase the amount of low tier units we can pump out if we have enough cash, or upgrade to increase production speed that would be great.

Message 8 of 26 (4,486 Views)

★ Novice

So the update just landed this afternoon, and it mentioned Nod Starter pack was upgraded from 7 to 30 cards. The problem is I just got Nod this morning and totally missed out on this. How can I retroactively get my cards...?

Message 9 of 26 (4,453 Views)

★★ Novice

Zone troopers and cyborgs destroy that thing, also if your capping a point and an opponent spawns a rock worm, place units on all three tiles preventing the work from reaching the point, it is quite slow at moving

Message 10 of 26 (4,386 Views)