Re: Shade - Slingshot

by TegliG

Original Post

Shade - Slingshot

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

The Slingshot is now a redundant unit and seriously needs looking at since the release of the Shade.

VS a Basilisk I used to understand that, even though Slinghot is a dedicated anti air weapon, that a balance needed to be made for a significantly more expensive unit which also required the purchase of a Temple of Nod. 

So when you needed 2 Slingshots in position to take down a single Basilisk, or 3/4 Slingshots if needing to transit into position, I accepted this while still being frustrated by it. 

But an aircraft being able to destroy an anti-aircraft unit, which costs 10 tiberium less is simply unacceptable and makes GDI anti-air unusable. Especially when considered within the Basilisk as well.

Now some might argue that there's always the Hammerhead. But no one in their right mind is going to play Slingshot and Hammerhead within the same deck, so if you have to have a Hammerhead to hard counter air units within game as GDI then I refer back to my opening statement.

Remember as well, this isnt like the Talon, the Banshee, Pitbulls or Missle Squads, as all of those units have other uses which makes them valuable in other ways during the game.

The Slingshot is only designed to combat air, and again, if some might argue that a soft counter such as those just listed are better than a supposed hard counter for a particular unit, I refer back to my opening statement. 

Message 1 of 10 (1,289 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Everybody agrees that the Shade is overpowered. If it gets fixed to a higher cost and/or lower stats, things will be better.

Message 2 of 10 (1,277 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Question is when this broken unit will be fixed. Quite pathetic that you autoloss against Shade builds.

Message 3 of 10 (1,272 Views)

★★★ Novice

Who said anything about losing? 

Message 4 of 10 (1,268 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

My experience against Shade builds Standard smile Your analysis is right and we all do agree, that Shade needs a complete rework. Slingshot is OK in my opinion. Making it better against Shade would also make it better against other air which you probably do not want at this point.

Message 5 of 10 (1,264 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ah sorry I misunderstood what you meant. 

Here's hoping the devs are reading these forums and make the necessary changes soon. 

I also feel sorry for anyone who falls for the bait and switch, and pays money to whale up their Shades only for them to be nerfed sometime soon.

Message 6 of 10 (1,259 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I have 2 options to remake the shade (I prefer option 2):

1) Add a bit more damage (so that pitbulls and bikes don't survive with 1 HP), but double the cost to 80 (or maybe even 90). This way the Shade turns into a better Orca (high burst and also stealth). This option is worse than option 2.

2) Reduce the damage to about half, but add 1 more second to the EMP effect. This way this unit will act more like a support unit (using its unique EMP effect, but not dealing that much damage as a tradeoff) instead of being completely overloaded. With this change the Shade can let off the EMP and then other units with higher DPS can move in and finish off the target.

Message 7 of 10 (1,242 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@TegliG wrote:

Question is when this broken unit will be fixed. Quite pathetic that you autoloss against Shade builds.

I wouldn't say so. If you have lots of infantry and air units in your deck, there is not actually that much that your opponent can use their Shades for.

Message 8 of 10 (1,238 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Shade alone is not a problem, but you have to look at the whole deck. Shade has too much counter control over vehicles locking out counters you need to protect your infantry and air units. Pair it with a chem troop and you are left with air. Bring out a phantom, and you control everything.

Message 9 of 10 (1,207 Views)

★ Guide

Pretty much.

Whomever thought that a 40 cost air unit that can stealth, disable enemy land and air vehicles attacks, reload faster than orca with similar damage and comes out of the air tower either is a complete inept at balancing or I wanna smoke what he is.

Personally, just up the cost to 100, there is no reason in heaven or hell this thing should be that cheap to field.

Message 10 of 10 (1,190 Views)