Re: Patch Notes for Server Update on Dec 11, 2019

by Mister_Crac

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_AvinashWow, player feedback has fallen on deaf ears. What you call a nerf is actually a sizable buff to the Jade meta deck for any mildly competent player.  The buff to shock/flame and baldie further amplifies the effectiveness of early game passive response double harv tech decks in all tiers but Tib. No one was asking for this..

Message 11 of 35 (1,469 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

attack bikes are easy to kill, it shouldnt be nerfed. Laser drone are the one should be nerfed, nowadays may decks spamming this unit either to kill harvester, destroy base or to steal pad..

Message 12 of 35 (1,446 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

🙏🍻🙏 Thank You for a GREAT 🆕 Unit , SHADE and for the Judicious Update. 

It's Clear to Me as a Veteran Commander of October 2018, that Progress IS Being Made. 

I 100% Understand & Agree with Every point of this Update BECAUSE it makes perfect sense. 

Really,  I DO hope the Developers are Confident & Wise Enough to Observe incompetent criticisms ( regardless of how well it's presented ) & see it for the simple complaining it is by those lacking insight. 

My Suggestions :

⭐ It IS The Holiday Season ⭐

... Therefore,  Holiday Promotions Simply CAN'T Be Missed !!! 

Additionally,  let's see some More Vanity Options BEFORE Next Year !!

😎 👍👍

Again,  THANK YOU For You're Continued Efforts,  We Love RIVALS™ and Are Excited for This 🆕 Year of Development 💪 😎 👌

Message 13 of 35 (1,433 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@xMaksuss I disagree, I like ALL the Units EXACTLY as they are now, including SHADE & Razorbacks... Actually, I'd like to see Flame Tanks , Avatars & Mammoth returned to their Original & Terrifying Glory 😈

I PRAY the next balance patch isn't until Spring. It's LITERALLY Impossible for 🆕 Units to need balance changes Immediately. They're DESIGNED as Is With Purpose. LEARN to Adapt & Enjoy that process rather than crying " it's too hard, it can't be Me, it has to be the fault of the unit design "

I replied to Your Comment because Your comment is the most senior ranked & sensible out of the rest. However, I'm not really speaking to You as much as everyone else.

I like your balanced perspective & respect your intelligent tone, even if I prefer to disagree on some points.

🍻 😎 👌
Message 14 of 35 (1,432 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@EA_Avinash 
Thank you for posting this.

Well, this update was so-so. It addressed some issues that needed fixing, but some other issues were left untouched, or have even been worsened by the changes made here. I will explain why.

The single biggest problem that exists with the game balance is that double harvester Tech decks are hugely overpowered. The risk/reward ratio for using them is way off the mark. This is because of three reasons:

1.) The amount of Tiberium which you get raises to a very high level after the first missile has fired.

2.) All of the units that were good for early attacks on your opponent's harvesters were nerfed (Pitbull, Mohawk, Attack Bikes, ...) This means that there is very little risk to bringing out double harvesters, which simply makes no sense at all. High reward (high Tiberium income) should always be attached to high risk.

3.) The gap between Tech units and non-Tech units is really too large. Of course, Tech units should be more powerful than normal units. But they should not be so powerful that once they come out, you have zero chance of beating them unless you play them yourself.

The change to Shockwaves/Flame Troopers and to Bikes have actually made this worse. The reason for this is that many Tech players use the former, and many Non-Tech players have to rely on the latter, because there is no real alternative available for Nod at all. Thus, the changes to these units are worsening existing problems with the game balance.

I think the best solution to this Tech imbalance would be three-fold:
a.) Revert the Tech lab cost discount. It never made any narrative or logical sense to begin with, so let's say good riddance to it. 
b.) Change the rate at which Tiberium is earned. It must never be so that once you have double harvesters, you are very soon swimming in Tiberium and can constantly pump out very expensive units without stopping. Playing efficiently with your resources is what should be rewarded. Unfortunately the game is not doing that right now.
c.) Make Tech units less powerful than they are now. That means less hitpoints and less damage output than they have now, but still more than regular units of course. To make up for this change, Tech units could become cheaper to produce so that their price/value ratio will be at a reasonable level.

a.) and b.) can be changed very easily. The effort for implementing this is very small. But it needs a solid amount of playtesting to arrive at the proper balance.
c.) is certainly more difficult to pull off, but would lead to a game that is really well-adjusted.

Message 15 of 35 (1,400 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Mister_Crac REMEMBER, The Agro Playstyle WAS Overly Oppressive & not everyone's cup of tea. Now that Tech is being promoted the experience is MUCH more inclusive of diverse playstyles 😎 👌
Message 16 of 35 (1,379 Views)

@LordMasterVel wrote:
@Mister_CracREMEMBER, The Agro Playstyle WAS Overly Oppressive & not everyone's cup of tea. Now that Tech is being promoted the experience is MUCH more inclusive of diverse playstyles 😎 👌

Diverse how? If you look at masters and below, mostly everyone is running 3 to 4 tech units in their deck. That isn’t diverse. The gameplay has shifted to running two, cheap non tech units before the first missile to stall for tech. Afterwards, it’s all tech and nothing but tech. 

Previously before the reduction in price to the tech labs, players ran regular units for the first missile and towards the end of the second missile, tech came out. It was more balanced. 

When was the last time you saw a tank more than 1 game in a row now since the change?

Message 17 of 35 (1,377 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@LordMasterVel wrote:
@Mister_CracREMEMBER, The Agro Playstyle WAS Overly Oppressive & not everyone's cup of tea. Now that Tech is being promoted the experience is MUCH more inclusive of diverse playstyles 😎 👌

No, it is not.

Did you read my post? I explained in detail why it is too easy and too rewarding to bring out double harvester decks. Like I said: A high reward needs to come with a high risk, a lower reward needs to come with a lower risk. That is the only way in which things make any sense at all.

Besides, Aggro was only really dominant for the top 0.1% of the players in this game (Tiberium League). How exactly is that a problem?

Message 18 of 35 (1,370 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Marine_CorporaI wrote:

Diverse how? If you look at masters and below, mostly everyone is running 3 to 4 tech units in their deck. That isn’t diverse. The gameplay has shifted to running two, cheap non tech units before the first missile to stall for tech. Afterwards, it’s all tech and nothing but tech. 

Exactly this. Decks with four Tech units simply should not be viable. Tech units were always meant to come out for the late game, meaning that you could have perhaps two of them in your deck. If people can achieve good win rates with four Tech units in their decks, which means entirely skipping the middle game where you are supposed to use medium-priced units, then something is obviously very wrong with the game balance.

Message 19 of 35 (1,369 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@LordMasterVelDiverse?

GDI - double Harv, wait for opponent to open, counter to win or delay, roll out tech and camp.

Nod - open any way you want, win 1 missle, one shot base with Jade + 1 Tib unit of your choice clouding.

Until you hit Tib it’s about as Diverse as a trump rally...  that discourages much of the current player base and frustrates new players to the point they quickly quit.  Without new new players coming in, and able to compete, the game will die out.

Message 20 of 35 (1,353 Views)