Re: PSA: Dr Liang

by diablosdungeon

Original Post

PSA: Dr Liang

★★★★★ Novice

He is the worst GDI General. Only use him if you want to severely gimp yourself.

On a side note as a balance suggestion ->

How about making him only able to heal 1 unit but actually have a decent healing amount?

In his current state he is pathetic. Why would you ever pick him when you can have a turret pop up anywhere you wish that damages and blocks?

Message 1 of 12 (1,206 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Everytime he's my rare in a box it makes me physically ill

Edit: as for something useful to say,  I think the armor on it could due with a slight upgrade but even then... the problem with just making the heal bigger is, healing mechanics are incredibly centralizing if they are strong in games such as this.

The fact that the drone can also be walked right under is another contributing factor to it's apparent non existence in the meta entirely. I'm just not sure what I would do to make this commander power useful without making it overbearing/borderline broken. 

Message 2 of 12 (1,185 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Agreed with all you said.   Though i honestly thought it was a woman general.....

Message 3 of 12 (1,168 Views)

Anonymous

Personally I'm a bit mixed on having changes made to Dr Liang. Granted, I only have him at level 4and in GDI Sector 3, but I find the repair drone useful on those more critical moments in the match when fighting over a point gets serious and you're using vehicles to counter your opponent's current units on the board. It also helps that the unit can contest a point like any other unit.

I just like using him more than Lt. Strongarm.

Message 4 of 12 (1,155 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Brunski83 wrote:

Agreed with all you said.   Though i honestly thought it was a woman general.....

It might be lol. I am not sure at all.

Message 5 of 12 (1,124 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I like him more than using Lt. Strongarm as well. It seems as though he is suited towards a more passive opponent.

I cannot really make the most of hist ability with an aggressive opponent though.

Message 6 of 12 (1,122 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

it is going to difficult to keep it balanced properly. I do like the armor idea. I am going to test him in the new patch and see how it goes.

Message 7 of 12 (1,122 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I think that healing really falls by the wayside in a game that is dynamic and units change in the blink of an eye. Liang's style sort of atrophies the player by keeping old units around and blocking new unit production, and the drone itself is fairly easily sniped.

It's one of the reasons I think zone troopers are outclassed by cyborgs. The borgs kill things and gimp their ability to move or defend themselves. Zone troopers regen when not fighting. Pretty easy choice there.

Message 8 of 12 (1,111 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Dr. Liang's heal drone is quite powerful as is right now. Remember that the heal works by percentage health, so the more base health a unit has, the more it heals. So it will heal a Titan much more than it heals a Rifleman becomes the Titan has more base health.

Dr. Liang is a late game hero. If you can survive the early game and start cranking out tech lab units, the heal drone becomes very powerful.

Message 9 of 12 (1,077 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

For any new players who stumble on this thread. The good doctor has since been buffed and his heal drone is cheaper now and he seems just fine to use if healing is your preferred playstlye

Message 10 of 12 (1,041 Views)