How do I use the mouse and keyboard to control

by FieldCommand

Original Post

How do I use the mouse and keyboard to control

★★ Newbie

How do I use the mouse and keyboard to control the soldiers, vehicles, building buildings, and so on? Please advise me. I looked everywhere, including the printout from the rules and I can't make heads or tails. Everything I seem to try does not work. If I can't play, I'll have to cancel my subscription.

hayesjohnhayes

Message 1 of 2 (473 Views)

Re: How do I use the mouse and keyboard to control

[ Edited ]
Hero

@FieldCommand In which game? There are a lot of C&C games.

Typically, in the  earlier ones, right-click always deselects whatever you have selected, and left-click is context-sensitive; click on a unit or building to select it, and when you have one or more of your own units selected, left click on the map or on enemy objects to order your selected units to interact with what you clicked on (move to spot, attack enemy, load infantry into friendly APC). Note that when you have units selected, and you hover your mouse over a friendly object that your selected units can not interact with, you will generally just get the "select" mouse cursor, meaning that clicking will just select the friendly object.

In the later games (Generals and later), they instead copied the Starcraft controls, where left click is only used to select things, and right-click gives orders, and there is no simple quick way to deselect what you are holding.

You can drag-click the left mouse button to select multiple units. [Shift] + left click on single units can typically be used to add them to, or remove them from, the current selection.

In the older games, holding down [Ctrl] will allow you to force-fire on anything, including the ground and friendly units. [Alt] will allow force-move, which is useful for crushing enemy infantry with heavy vehicles.

The following orders can also typically be given to selected units:

[S]: Stop what you are doing, and only respond to enemy units inside your weapon range.

[G]: Guard an area around you, about twice your weapon range.

[X]: scatter; useful to prevent infantry from getting crushed by enemy tanks.

In the Remastered Collection, you can choose between right-click and left-click controls in the game options, and you can look up and change specific hotkeys in there.

You can check the original manuals of all the games here:

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Manuals

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 2 (380 Views)