Re: Game Balance and Matchmaking - We want your feedback!

by muelann

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Break down of how and what should be changed:

GDI:

Riflemen-Good where they are now do their job well 

Missile Squad-Could use a buff to its overall dps as they just feel like they cant do their job:Example you need 2 of them to counter a orca rush as they just dont do enough dmg

Rhino-Fine where it is now does its job well but a small damage buff wouldn't hurt it at all

Predator Tank-Good where it is at

Pitbull-Needs a big buff to dps as it just cant do anything useful in my opinion as it cant kill other vehicles well

Talon-Does it job well no buff really needed

Wolverine-Fine where it is currently at

Zone trooper- its heal effect just feels weak or doesn't even feel like its there, could use a buff to its heal, everything else on it is fine.

Titan-Does its job well, no change needed

Jump Jet Troopers-From what i felt have done their job well

Orca-This is a big problem atm that just ends games at the start with the easy ability to destroy harvesters and makes games just not fun overall, what you should do with it is increase the cost of production, increase reload time, and decrease the speed it has as you cant really counter it unless you put to missle/laser squads up to defend your original harvester as it can just out maneuver or just out damage a single squad

SandStorm-Change the value of the bonus damage it gets as it just makes it way to hard to deal with, 50% is way to much atm and something like 15-25% would be much better and make it easier to play against

Not enough time against or with it- M.L.R.S, Kodiak

Have not seen so far-Sniper team, Hammerhead,Disruptor,Mammoth tank

NOD:

Militant-Does its job well and needs no change

Laser squad- Could use a buff to its overall dps as they just feel like they cant do their job:Example you need 2 of them to counter a orca rush as they just dont do enough dmg

Flame Troopers-fine where it is now can be countered but takes out troops like it should

Scarabs- They are useless atm unless someone isnt really paying attention, what would help with this would be just to increase its speed since it dies really quickly, which is fine, but just cant even hit their target a lot of the time as of their slow speed 

Attack Bikes- increase to their damage would help out a bit

Buggy-Increase to its damage as it somewhat struggles to kill infantry

Scorpion tank-Fine where it currently is at

Venom-a bit of a damage  increase would help out 

Banshee-Fine where it currently is  

Cyborg-i think just a change to its slow for attack speed and movement speed from 20% to 10% would help out as there is currently nothing that can really counter it atm

Rockworm-its to hard to play against it, something that would help would be giving it less damage and maybe a cooldown of how far and how often it can move around

Flame tank- its current damage is fine but the outer edges of the flame( so the 3 other tiles that it  covers with damage should only do 65-75% of its total damge as its currently a minor one man army that can do way to much

Confessor-In my opinion fine where its at currently

No experience against-Chemical warriors, stealth tank, inferno, artillery, basilisk

All the commanders play fine so far in my opinion and dont really need to be changed

Additional notes:A player vs AI option would be nice to try out an army, the AI would let you select the Army,Commander,Troop,Level of troops/commanders, and the difficulty of the AI 

A test mode that let us just play vs ourselves to try out different strategy or to counter a strategy better would help.

-Quak Whale Rank:25-1896 (written before any balance changes were announced

Message 21 of 893 (5,901 Views)

★ Guide
Well, I disagree with a lot of what you are saying there, but I've stated my opinions here already and we have a large patch coming up so I'll limit myself to two things, you are massively underestimating Scarabs, they shut down aggression early game, they close off lanes of movement and demand an answer, I run a barracks almost solely to get scarabs out, and they are the answer to one of your problems, Orca rushing against someone fielding scarabs is basically throwing the game away. I'm not saying Orcas couldn't use some tweaks, but both factions can counter them, the meta below a certain point is having trouble with it, but I'd hesitate to nerf them too badly or GDI air won't be viable at all outside of the tech lab, would probably sooner buff some of their counters ever so slightly.

As to the stuff you haven't seen, Kodiaks are a lot of fun, they're about equal to sandstorms, though a bit more vulnerable, I'll be interested to see where they end up after the sandstorm changes. Chemical warriors are good but unless you're using Jade as your commander flame troopers tend to be better due to the similar use case and lower cost, they do fair better than flame troopers against later tier infantry though which may make them an interesting option after the next patch.

I also agree that a test mode would be nice, in the meantime at least I've heard there are friendly alliance battles for this purpose if you can find someone to organize play with, though I have yet to try this myself.

Also thanks cloud/whitemetroid, always enjoy our games and you've certainly beaten me more times than anyone else in the top 10 has :P, sure it won't be too long before I end up having to fight you for this position.
Message 22 of 893 (5,887 Views)

★ Novice
I think the 2 harvester thing is a glitch because I fought people lower than me and they had 2 out.
Message 23 of 893 (5,887 Views)

★★★ Newbie
So honestly the nod worms sit at the top of the power scale imo then the sandstorm. The rest honestly seem fine but those two are uber strong.
Message 24 of 893 (5,860 Views)

★ Novice

I agree. I do not like the rng aspect of gaining units. It is not true to the RTS genre by not allowing you to access all the units and thier respective counters. I would rather pay up front for access to the entire game. I also do not like the leveling scheme for units. It reminds me of clash royale where not only do you need to keep track of unit counters, but also card levels. I know this is the game economy they have chosen, but I don't have to like it.

Message 25 of 893 (5,844 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Alright, quick update on my matchmaking experience. I've been playing on and off all day, initially I'd get a mix of 100-500 players and 1000+ players, I figured the mix was due to low population midday, but sometime after I passed 3000 or 3200ish in nod I started only getting the lower end, 500 max. As a test I switched to GDI (which is sitting around 1100ish) I suddenly get matched with 1000+ rated people again, switch back, back to fighting 100s, something is definitely off with the matchmaking here.

EDIT: Also I reached the final sector for nod, I wasn't expecting it to end honestly, not sure how I feel about that yet, but nice reward at the end, got a stealth tank out of it, which I'm kind of iffy on but hard to tell how good or bad it really is without some 1000+ opponents to use it against. In other news, if anyone is interested in testing out that alliance friendly match feature I could really use some opponents until automatch gets fixed.

Message 26 of 893 (5,837 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Not following allbtis discussion about sandstorm. I do not have sandstorm even though i am level 4 on that faction. Now, i just started nod, and am unable to upgrade my units. I am using level 1 inantry while my opponents are at 3 or higher. What gives? 

Message 27 of 893 (5,822 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey, I really like the game and yeah I think the Sandstorm is overpowered but the same goes for the NOD rock worm. I feel like I don't really need to build a War Factory anymore for neither GDI or NOD and I am guessing that wasn't the intention of the game.

I don't have an answer but the original C&C required the player to build a war factory before building a tech centre! 

But yeah at lower level gameplay the rock worm is a beast!

Message 28 of 893 (5,815 Views)

★ Guide
I felt the same way about the war factory for awhile, but for GDI at least unlocking the MRLS changed that, turns out to be the best counter to sandstorms I can find and just generally a good support unit plus as an added bonus its way cheaper to get access to and build, of course now I'm just wishing I had snipers to take out zone troopers and cyborgs :P Hard to make a stand against high tier infantry as GDI. Really I wouldn't worry much about what buildings see and don't see use at this point, it all changes as you unlock more things and nobody has unlocked everything to truly determine if anything is best ignored.

The rockworm certainly has its weaknesses, though I do agree it can be annoying to deal with, even as someone who runs Kodiaks out against them, wish it had an ever so slightly longer delay before burying again.
Message 29 of 893 (5,811 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I JUST played a few more games and any game where a Rockworm was not involved, I won. The most ridiculous game was the one I just had: I destroyed the enemy harvester three times and they were still able to make Rockworms and beat me hard, they have too much health can't be attacked when on the move are too strong against vehicles. Who actually thought that would be a good idea? I actually think they are a bigger problem than the Sandstorm.

Message 30 of 893 (5,802 Views)