GDI AI airstrikes have an unfair advantage

by AdamR

Original Post

GDI AI airstrikes have an unfair advantage

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: Command & Conquer Remastered
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug GDI AI airstrikes targeting elsewhere post-dispatch if the originally targeted thing is destroyed.
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play a NOD mission featuring periodic GDI airstrikes. Missions 9 and 11 (A or B) are good examples.
What happens when the bug occurs? The planes can often attack in different parts of the map separately. They will also divert to different targets unfairly if their originally intended target is destroyed before their capacity of napalm is depleted.
What do you expect to see? Airstrikes behaving more consistently with player deployed airstrikes. -- The two planes should not be in different parts of the map, and they should not be diverting to alternative targets when if their original target is destroyed.

The GDI airstrikes when dispatched by AI seem to be significantly unbalanced.

Instead of targeting an area to dispatch they seem to target a specific thing -- be it a structure, vehicle, or person. If that target is destroyed by an early napalm drop both planes will target another thing, changing their course entirely.

You definitely can NOT do this when you dispatch an airstrike, you select a position and the planes drop napalm there whether the thing has moved, destroyed, or whatever. The drop zone is 100% committed.

I don't remember this being the case in the DOS/W95 versions. You could place 1 unit at the most northwest possible position, and both planes would drop their napalm loads on that position. Its very fair that this northwest exploit has been fixed, but the planes were not able to divert from their original drop zone, and not able to stop dropping their loads if the intended target gets destroyed.

--

This poses a particular problem in NOD missions 9 (Egypt re-fortification) and 11 (Stealth tank rescue). -- Cleverly scattering your units to avoid a tight cluster getting wiped out is no longer possible.

For example on NOD mission 11 I had the four artillery units well spaced out to the south of the river ready to fire at the guard tower opposite, but in comes an airstrike. The first plane arrives way ahead of the second. Just two napalm bombs wipe out an artillery unit, so both planes now proceed to the next one way away from the drop zone of the first. By dropping only partial loads and diverting when the target unit is destroyed they are able to wipe out all four artillery units.

I've also noticed in both NOD missions 9 and 11 the airstrikes heavily prioritise the commando, and (in mission 11) the artillery south of the river, both at very early stages into the mission without much chance of their purpose being fulfilled. You can't move them out of the way if you notice the planes arriving soon enough because they change their drop zone.

I asked a long time friend about this. He said that the initial target was always tracked should you move it after the strike is dispatched, but also that once the drop begins that position is committed. -- No diversions.

It also seems strange that the two planes arrive 5-10 seconds apart. This just allows for way more time to do the diversion.

--

There's quite a few comments about this on a thread at the Steam community.

Message 1 of 3 (947 Views)

Re: GDI AI airstrikes have an unfair advantage

[ Edited ]
Hero

@AdamR 

This happened in the original game too. It just means they have some bombs left. It's kinda rare there though.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 3 (882 Views)

Re: GDI AI airstrikes have an unfair advantage

★★★★★ Novice

Its happening significantly more common now.

11A I managed to complete by utterly rushing the crap out of the bottom side destroying the guard towers first, then bringing the commando down to the base. It has to be super duper quick though, with so little chance of the commando living after a few minutes. If you can predict or guess the path of the planes in advance you have a chance of protecting commando and artillery, otherwise you have no time to be smart about your assault.

11B I haven't been able to do yet.

Forward to 12 and 13 the airstrikes went back to being a minor problem. -- Its just 9 and 11 that become really hard.

Message 3 of 3 (845 Views)