Re: Can Steam players and Origin players play together?

by GENERALZOOL

Original Post

Can Steam players and Origin players play together?

★★★ Novice

Question in title. 

Please assist. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11 (73,928 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I believe yes because Steam version requires linking an EA account to access multiplayer.

Message 2 of 11 (73,889 Views)

Hero

Yes Steam and Origin players can play together.

I got that confirmed by EA.

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 11 (73,867 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@N7_A_M_R_Egypt wrote:

I believe yes because Steam version requires linking an EA account to access multiplayer.

That was removed, actually. But yea, they should be able to play together.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 11 (73,847 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Unfortunately I cannot confirm this. A friend on Origin tried to join my game (I'm on Steam) and vice versa. We could not find each others games in the lobby. How is this supposed to work?

Message 5 of 11 (73,764 Views)

★ Pro

If it is possible for Steam Players and Origin Players to join, I would like to know if there is any way to identify who's using what.

I can't use the Steam Client, and any IP Addresses associated with Steam tend to crash my games (assuming they even get that far). I would need to be able to filter out Origin Client Lobbies and prevent Steam Users from joining my games, as to not crash my Router.

It's been a thing in my case for years, and nothing will fix it (requires calling the ISP and going through a lot of menus and so on over a phone for hours). Steam got Black-Listed on my Router years ago, due to some Hacking incident involving the Steam Client and another User I think. Ever since, people using Steam on their systems have found themselves knocking my Router offline every time they join me Online (hard enough getting a stable game of Battlefield 4 with other users have both Steam and Origin active at the same time).

Message 6 of 11 (73,736 Views)

Hero

@GENERALZOOL wrote:

If it is possible for Steam Players and Origin Players to join, I would like to know if there is any way to identify who's using what.

I can't use the Steam Client, and any IP Addresses associated with Steam tend to crash my games (assuming they even get that far). I would need to be able to filter out Origin Client Lobbies and prevent Steam Users from joining my games, as to not crash my Router.

It's been a thing in my case for years, and nothing will fix it (requires calling the ISP and going through a lot of menus and so on over a phone for hours). Steam got Black-Listed on my Router years ago, due to some Hacking incident involving the Steam Client and another User I think. Ever since, people using Steam on their systems have found themselves knocking my Router offline every time they join me Online (hard enough getting a stable game of Battlefield 4 with other users have both Steam and Origin active at the same time).

Erhm what? I'm sorry but this makes little sense.

• Steam IP addresses should not make any game crash - networking errors perhaps but never a crash
  • If the router is blocking Steam IP addresses that should not crash the router, they should just be blocked
  • Hacking incidents for other users should not affect your router, no one does this
  • Battlefield 4 users don't transmit to your router that they also have Steam connected.

In short, the error, the explanation to why it's happening and the whole situation do not fit with how routers, the internet, computers and the games work.

carbonic signature

Message 7 of 11 (73,721 Views)

★ Pro

@Carbonic 

I know, I did IT at collage, but that's what happens to me.

The only factors that are in effect when I get a particular type of crash on my PC is when I'm in a session with someone who's got Steam running on their system at the time. I know, as I tested it with a friend. My router goes down and has to be reset (denied power for 10 whole minutes, and then turned on again), and my game actually crashes saying 'This program has stopped working correctly' and this when I'm in a session with players on Steam. I don't understand why it happens, but the only common factor is the Steam Application.

By the way, I actually had it happen just a few hours ago, and I was able to confirm that one of the players had Steam running at the time (he forgot to turn it off before coming to play with me on Battlefield).

It happens to me, and I'm not the only one, though I will say, it's very extremely rare.

Message 8 of 11 (73,653 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yes steam player can join and play with origin player

Message 9 of 11 (41,436 Views)

★ Guide
@GENERALZOOL maybe start a thread for this. It's a brilliantly valid enough point, imho, to start a convo over
Message 10 of 11 (39,300 Views)