Re: C&C Rivals is going to competitively fail if the missile system is not c

by DaSud

Original Post

C&C Rivals is going to competitively fail if the missile system is not changed

★★★★ Apprentice

I don't know how I can better stress how important this is. This game is going to sink or swim based on how competitively viable it is. Putting matters of unit levels, fairplay, and other things aside, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that games being decided by arbitrary snap missile decisions that players are not even given a fair chance to react to is going to be rejected by any competitive league worth its salt, as it is not a skill based mechanic.

Here's the problem. When the missile is in its last charge phases, charge time is shared between both players. There are two major issues with this: 1. it doesn't reward the player who controlled the point (which is how a game should be won or lost) merely the player who had control at the last femtosecond of the charge bar (creating situations where your hard work is instantly awarded to the other player, giving you no fair way to reasonably contest it) and 2. it can be exploited in many cases by taking one of your units off a point, waiting until the bar mostly charges from your opponent, then quickly repositioning it and running an air unit over a point (which can instantly capture even if the point is completely occupied with units).

How it should work: charging is shared between both players for the initial missile chargeup period. When it comes to the end portion of the bar, the missile then charges with a red or blue bar, representing which player has majority control. If the red player has charged the bar 90%, and the blue player wrests control, instead of the blue player getting control of a 90% charged missile, the red charge should degenerate down to 0%, then start charging blue. If there is some need for diminishing returns due to stalemates, then the missile can start charging faster over time to correct this. Equal control should result in degeneration of the charge as per normal settings.

Why is this important? When people win or lose, they want to do so because of the choices and decisions they made throughout the game. While it's possible for this to happen under the current system, results by these instant snap missile launches are very dissatisfying and very, very common. You did the right thing (charging the objective), and you're granted an instant defeat for doing so.

Please, please, please consider fixing this.

(In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a tweet showing it https://twitter.com/DaSud/status/1039918746331049984)

Message 1 of 5 (891 Views)

★ Apprentice
I have +1 this topic, as it should be obvious. Sadly enough this topic doesn't seem to get much love though.

This needs to be changed for reasons above. It is being abused all the time and it is making the game extremely annoying to play on higher level.

Please fix.
Message 2 of 5 (804 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Let me tell you all a little story from the past, when I was a young teen. I had a super nintendo and the classic game mario kart. Great game, but it had one really aggravating design flaw that I'll get to.

In mario kart, you could choose your racer and they all had positive and negative attributes. Some had good acceleration, some had good control, some had good top speed.

The flaw in all this was that the ai, well, blatantly cheated. It didn't matter if you chose a slow racer like toad and just leisurely ran the course, or chose the fastest top speed like bowser, nailed the startup boost, and power slid the track like a champ, no matter how well you did, the AI would rubberband itself to you, and be nipping at your heels at all times, yes, you could be blazing forward as bowser and the slowest toad could be impossibly right on your bumper.

The real unfun part here that no matter how awesome you were playing, zero flaws, just about to rip over the finish line, you suddenly get hit by a shell. And every single cheating ai passes you and you lose, even though by every right you should have been lapping second place.

This is exactly what an instant 180 spinaround rubber banding missile is. You're attaining an objective. You've made it to that finish line. Then suddenly a unit dies and before you can react or do anything your opponent is awarded a win from YOUR hard work.

This is why this needs to go. It's both anti competitive and anti fun when you get screwed.

Message 3 of 5 (729 Views)

★★★★ Guide

ya ive been seeing this as well its the last 2 sec of the bar pretty much after the line thats when they pull a fast one on ya 

Message 4 of 5 (707 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Man ... no bigger truth than what you said. The charge system is totally broken. I find myself in situations like this very often and i bet everyone else too.

Message 5 of 5 (522 Views)