Is Bf1942 & its expansions, officially considered abandonware?

by Professor_Smith

Original Post

Is Bf1942 & its expansions, officially considered abandonware?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Hello,
My name is Joshua Hales (known as Professor_Smith on the bf1942 forums). I have been creating a minimod for bf1942 for the last 15+years. About a year ago, after game spy arcade shut down, players started creating Bf1942 installs that would fix the multiplayer internet game freeze issue (due to the game spy arcade servers being unavailable). I was wondering if you could tell me if Bf1942 and its 2 expansions Road to Rome & Secret Weapons of WWII, are truly "abandonware" or not?

If not, then could you please send me an official download link to EA Games' server fix install file for bf1942 and its expansions?

Also, if we are not allowed to place said files on our website for players to download8 them, can we post a link that directs users to EA's files that you provide me the link(s) to?

Thank You,

Joshua Hales
Professor Smith
Message 1 of 4 (2,208 Views)

Re: Is Bf1942 & its expansions, officially considered abandonware?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

with ea you never know they are pure profit based company they shut down revive network just for the fact that they give away free download links for bf2 bf2142 both games were dead if it was not for

revive network!.

on both games you cant play multiplayer with out master server you need to login ! but gamespy is gone so you no longer can so now ea cant sell you a useless product or they will have to give official server support  so they just removed all ways of buying bf1942 bf2 bf2142 now here comes revive network they done what ea would not do!

i still  remember what ea  say on there own page it was beyond there technical ability! to safe gamespy games !

( found the page Standard smile  https://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-titles-hosted-on-gamespy?isLocalized=true )

so now the only way for revive network to get both new and old players who just lost there cd was to give free download links !

at first ea not care for 3 years ! but revive network was getting to popular so they just put stop to it Frown

even though  bf1942 was released as freeware  back in 2012  the expansions never were but they cant really sell a game where they shut down  the official servers.

if AX not make the new master server bf1942 be dead now Frown so all i can say is you won't get a official statement from ea they won't  say the game is abandonware.

they are the copyright holders this means if ea wants the game to be dead  they can!.

so just be happy with AX  and share the info that bf1942 is alive and well in 2017 and  long after that Standard smile

i wish we still had games where you had expansion packs mods and no unlock weapons!  but that time is now long gone all we have now is paid dlc! no mods!  unlocks ! pay2win ! microtransactions!  premium!  all that is bad Frown its sad but the fact.

Message 2 of 4 (2,152 Views)

★★ Novice
Thank you for the reply Emile. I understand some of what you're saying, though it's a bit of a vague answer, just as EA gives me most of the time. So are you saying that we are allowed to use the abandonware programs as long as EA Games doesn't tell us we can't? As for your comment regarding no more mods, I'm not sure if you read all of my original post, but I have a mod that I wish to put on someone server that will change modding for bf1942 forever in my opinion. I've been working on it for over 15 years and I am almost finished. I should be ready with it in about a month at the most. So if you and your people are seeking a mod to run on their servers I am completely willing to let you do so.
Message 3 of 4 (2,138 Views)

★★★ Guide

what im saying is ea won't say its  abandonware

and i my self think ea  won't stop you from giving out free download links to bf1942 for very long time until your link becomes so popular

that it becomes a thread to there  profit from new games.

bf1942 is now one of a kind rare game that allowed pure creativity from mod makers so 1 game can be many games you will never see that in todays games

also bf1942 does not have unlock weapens unlike  todays games and does not have microtransactions for lets say for a stupid scope, and does not have  premium or dlc.

when you get bf1942 you get the fulll game and no need to buy additional content from unlocks dlc or premium

so ea just wants people to forget about how games once were in the past

Message 4 of 4 (2,130 Views)