Battlefield 1942 on Windows 10 64-Bit System - Won't launch

by bim03

Original Post

Re: Battlefield 1942 on Windows 10 64-Bit System - Won't launch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

are sure you installed  this patch battlefield_1942_gamespy_patch_v1.61.exe    in the pack if not sure  rerun the patch  and make sure the install path  is good

Message 21 of 83 (18,410 Views)

★★★ Novice
Ah no I didn't install that one as don't want this for online so didn't bother. Will reinstall everything again but with this patch too
Message 22 of 83 (18,403 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

well there is your problem win 10 no longer has safedisc drm and so you will need that patch to give you a new bf1942.exe that no longer looks for the cd rom

Message 23 of 83 (18,397 Views)

★ Novice

I had it originally from Origin, and the patch worked perfectly!

Message 24 of 83 (18,357 Views)

★ Novice

Your patches worked but why do I have to install the patch every time after every game?

Message 25 of 83 (17,627 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I bought the entire anthology on CD years ago (BF1942, Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WWII, Battlefield Vietnam) and have played it for many years.  Each time I replaced my laptop and Windows operating system it worked with no problem, right up to Windows 7 on the current laptop.  Then my wife installed Windows 10.  After much research and experimentation, it still will not function and I cannot even uninstall it or reinstall it.  I have found some forum updates by BossDweeb on the Microsft answers page that explain why, and I recommend you all read them.  Basically, Microsoft created a malware for Windows 10 called - DRM Blocking -  This malware prevents hundreds of  old disk based games from launching if they use either SecuROM or SafeDisk copy protection (which Battlefield 1942 does).  You cannot opt out of DRM blocking. The only solutions offered by Microsoft are to throw away your old CD games and purchase them again by download if available or purchase different games from their wonderful assortment of X-Box games.  Basically, it is a cunning way to force users to dispose of their old catalogue of games and for Microsoft to make money. As game providers (in this case, EA Games) also profit handsomely by re-selling us the same software, I would not be in the least bit surprised if they are in collusion.  In any event, they are not offering a solution.  

Here are some links to BossDweeb's detailed explanations of the problem, and his recommendations for ways to circument the DRM Blocking:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/installing-old-games-on-windows-10...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/when-attempting-to-start-flight-si...

Message 26 of 83 (17,619 Views)

★★ Novice

Detailed threads on Windows 10 Issues and playing online exist and are shared between the folks who still serve the game.  I would recommend Starting your search there if you have not resolve your issues.

I hail from www.moongamers.com  , have a visit and if forums isn't good enough you can probably get some one on one assistance via audio chat.

Peace Out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmCPSb8HRs

Moongamers :  Running dedicated servers for Battlefield 1942 since February 2004

Message 27 of 83 (17,564 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much! This still works in 2016. 

Message 28 of 83 (16,841 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

actually it will if you right click on [ Properties ] click [ Compatibility ] click [ Run Trouble Shooter ]

Let it run the trouble shooting process, once complete you can click [ Try These Settings ] and click [ Test The Program ]

Is kinda tedious but it does work. as for updating to the current patch, this I am still working on being that the BF'42 I have is from Origin, have no clue where the original CD version is ...

Message 29 of 83 (16,747 Views)

★ Novice

I bought the Battlefield 1942 Anthology too. The Windows 10 is not support SecuROM and SafeDisc games. Many games forbidden on Windows 10. Microsoft said, those DRMs are unsecure. Windows 7; 8; 8.1 has got the patch (KB3086255) what forbid those kind of games. Use no-cd patches to run the games. You'll be able to play on Windows 10. I'm sure, this kind of problem is manageable by EA, but it don't want to solve the problem. Use the way what you can. Keep calm. I have the original game and the original OS. I bought them all, payed the price, but I can't play if I walk on the normal way. I have to walk on, what is solving the problem.

Message 30 of 83 (16,428 Views)