Re: Battlefield 1942 on Windows 10 64-Bit System - Won't launch

by emile44

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Hello Emile44,

I have the Complete Collection (BF1942+DCs+Vietnam) and I have been attempting to install them along with your CD-ROM "All-in-One" patch for some time. I read the readme and this thread thoroughly, but it appears I still hit a problem where the screen will go black (as though the program is about to launch) before returning to the desktop (I have checked the task manager and there is no indication that Battlefield is running in the background). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Message 71 of 83 (4,837 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am having similar issue. After applying patches, I see no differences

Message 72 of 83 (4,710 Views)

★★★ Guide

what version of Battlefield 1942 do you have cd rom or origin download ?

Message 73 of 83 (4,640 Views)

★★★ Guide

stan91152 did you enable direct play ? and disable the Xbox game DVR it's been known to cause issues with bf1942. double-check you installed the gamespy patch because it's absolutely required to get Battlefield 1942 to work on Windows 10.

Message 74 of 83 (4,638 Views)

★★★ Newbie

where can I get battlefield for download? I can't find it anymore.  I used to have it on my old computer, but it isn't working at this point.

Message 75 of 83 (4,441 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I am sorry for giving out such a giant complain here but it has to be said.
I can't give you download links here because of some stupid administrators, who will just remove them because they are trying to protect the copyright of a 20-year old game, that doesn't have download links available anymore on their own official website.
When Battlefield 1942 was still freely available in 2012 on the official EA origin website they even removed their own legit CD key system.
Because they couldn't deal with the coding issue to actually check for a legit key on the gamespy, when the official servers were still around.
So what is Electronic Arts answer instead of actually giving out official CD keys in 2012 they gave fake cd keys and change the bf1942.exe to version 1.62. this was splitting our community into half we now had the official CD key users with CD rom and the unofficial users with Origin download.
This single action by Electronic Arts was forcing our community to make hybrid servers to no longer check for legit CD keys so both official CD key owners and origin users could join the same game.
Then in 2014 the gamespy close the official servers because they didn't have money to keep running them.
Electronic Arts official statement was that due to the technical challenges it was not possible to save battlefield 1942 official master server please see.  https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-12-50-ea-games-will-have-their-servers-shut-down
So this single action forced our community to make our own master server which wasn't even that hard we now have our own community run master server.

Then one year later in 2015 Microsoft removed safedisk DRM from Windows 7, 8, 10,

this forced official CD key owners to have a No CD key check bf1942.exe running on there computer.
Now as time whent on no legit copies were available in shops anymore.
Because bf1942 is a multiplayer game our community was forced to adept.

so our community is supporting the game actually making a new bf1942.exe that doesn't require safedisc DRM,

which is not available in Windows 10 our community made our own master server we are trying to keep the game alive.
But the * administrators at EA games here don't allow me to post links anymore here to protect the copyright of a 20-year old game

which they do not give support for any more, and doesn't have legit CD keys anymore and the copies which are legit no can longer have safedisc DRM

oh my god ea  lol. So EA * you.

So to anybody who see this join my twitch stream I will be able to answer any of your questions when I'm live.

https://www.twitch.tv/emile44

Message 76 of 83 (4,420 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked great!!!! I was finally able to play BF 1942 again after installing this patch, thank you! 

Message 77 of 83 (2,919 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for all of the information. I may have a different issue and the patches did not help. I switched monitors and BF1942 will not run. I can see BF1942 start up and run a black screen. Almost immediately after the back screen appears, the software stops and I can see a very quick Command Window appear and disappear. Any ideas?

Message 78 of 83 (2,857 Views)

★★★ Guide

This is a very weird issue so far every time I came across a issue that relates to Battlefield 1942 not successfully starting up when fully patched up with my patch up pack.
it usually still relates to having a monitor that doesn't support 800 by 600 as lowest supported resolution.
other things that might interfere are screen overlay programs like Xbox DVR from Windows 10

Message 79 of 83 (2,854 Views)

★★★ Guide

anyway I am always live on my twitch channel twitch.tv/emile44
you can always pop in and ask questions and maybe we can work out the issue

Message 80 of 83 (2,852 Views)