Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142 Create two black windows and crash. Help?

by Herodarrion

Original Post

Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142 Create two black windows and crash. Help?

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I know that nobody plays these games anymore, but I love collecting the entirety of franchises new and old. The recent collection I've been porting over to my new laptop is the Battlefield franchise, and I love BF so I was eager to get this one running again. However, the games simply create a couple black windows and crash. However, Battlefield Vietnam runs perfectly. I've tried going into video.con files and changing the resolution and making it windowed mode and such and it still doesn't work. I tried patched .exes and I have directplay installed and all my overlays I.E Discord, Geforce, and Game bar are all disabled and there is no luck. I have the exact same copies on my other Pc and they work perfectly. I've tried completely clean installs and still the same problems arise. If this helps at all I have a HP Gaming Pavilion - 15

Message 1 of 6 (1,523 Views)

Re: Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142 Create two black windows and crash. Help?

★★★ Guide

Did you fully patch up Battlefield 1942 including the game spy patch ?
what is the lowest resolution your laptop supports ?
bf1942 requires a monitor that supports at least 800 by 600

Message 2 of 6 (1,490 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, everything is patched. The lowest my monitor seems to go is 1024 x 768. 

Message 3 of 6 (1,469 Views)

★★★ Guide

well then that is the actual problem because Battlefield 1942 requires 800 by 600
to be supported by the display monitor.
a workaround would be to connect your laptop to a TV which supports that resolution or a monitor

Message 4 of 6 (1,458 Views)

★ Novice

Am I able to change the display in the game itself, so I can use my laptop monitor or would I have to plug in a new monitor each time? 

Message 5 of 6 (1,449 Views)

★★★ Guide

I'm afraid that won't help because the main menu still requires 800 by 600 despite the hd fix that is included in the gamespy patch which actually allows the game to run in full HD or 4K resolution. the main menu will still stay in 800 by 600.

by the way the hd fix made  fhsw  look gorgeous in 4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDMLK05G1Y

Message 6 of 6 (1,437 Views)