why does my download speed get limited

by SuperTurkishMan

Original Post

why does my download speed get limited

★ Novice

My download speed gets limited when playing games on origin even though my cap is set to no limit. I know it's not my internet either because before I start playing it stays at a constant 12-13mb/s but after starting up a game it slowly goes down to around 2.5 mb/s and doesnt go higher.

Message 1 of 5 (1,665 Views)

Re: why does my download speed get limited

Community Manager

@SuperTurkishMan It would be pretty common to see your download speeds drop when you have launched and playing a game.

If you feel that your speed should be higher when downloading and playing then I would suggest taking a look at our Connection troubleshooting steps which you can find here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 5 (1,595 Views)

★ Novice

It's perfectly fine on uplay or steam when playing a game and downloading at the same time.

Message 3 of 5 (1,566 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I can confirm the problem. Starting a game lowers download speed to ~2.5mb/s. It immedietly plummets down when the game is launched (no multiplayer or other online content being used) and immedietly goes up again when the game is quit. It also happens when the download speed limit is set to, say, 10mb/s instead of unlimited. Even weirder - if the download limit is set to anything lower than 2.5mb/s (eg 500kb/s), it still limits to 2.5mb/s....

Edit: I just realized that the limit feature is completely disabled and set to 2-2.5mb/s for games that you can play while it downloads. The information for this in the client is terribly translated in Dutch and it makes no sense.

Message 4 of 5 (1,559 Views)

★★ Novice

The issue remains at the current date.

Normal download speeds while non in game, but as soon as I launch the game goes to 2.5. Everything set to "No limits"

Message 5 of 5 (1,205 Views)