why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

by snipeshot9111

Original Post

Re: why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

★ Novice

I do not have a good connection in general and would only ever expect around 1Mbp/s at peak performance.

Origin was downloading at 100-200kbp/s, spiking at 270kpb/s, dipping to 50kbp/s - which even I felt was slow.

After 
- opening ports in windows firewall
- adding origin to firewall exceptions

- disabling router firewall

- running in R&D mode as an administrator

Origin now downloads at 700-850kbp/s, spiking at 1000kpb/s, dipping to 400kbp/s

Thanks to those who left good knowledge here. 

I'm gonna add my 2 cents and say that people really need to calm down and realise that networks are a complex thing. There are 101 reasons why your specific set up, isn't achieving optimal results. To come here and berate staff, leave lengthy walls of text and generally just take your problems out on others - is childish.

Message 251 of 328 (4,978 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Mine was downloading 20kbps, so I:

- Enable R&D + run as administrator

- Chose local DNS manually (google was not so fast and it didnt work)

Now I have 1500kbps.

Since many people are having this issue, you just need to find the best local DNS. I did not have this issue with my roaming mobile data or work network (both roam to different countries), I only had the problem with local home network.

Edit// EA tech support chat didnt even understand the issue and basically just told me to reboot/clean boot the app..

Message 252 of 328 (4,853 Views)

★★★ Newbie

no

Message 253 of 328 (4,654 Views)

★ Novice
@snipeshot9111 If anyone still has this problem, plug in the chord that you would a landline phone into the laptop and problem solved lol!
Message 254 of 328 (4,644 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I guarantee you there are exact same threads in Steam forums complaining of extremely slow download speeds there. GoG, too. HP and Dell driver downloads seem as if they're on 28.8K modems at times.  No, I'm not kidding. Slow transfers happen at work, they happen at friends' houses, at schools, in stores, at sports arenas, in coffee shops, at ISPs,  in and around mobile command centers. If it is happening ALL the time for YOU just on one site, well, I simply do not believe it other than it being due to a mis-configuration specific to the site or app or network equipment. Origin would have faded away if their service was as slow as suggested by some in this thread. 56K modem speeds died with GLQuake.  Changing your DNS will not increase your download speeds exponentially.  Unless you're using a different DNS just for when you fire up Origin and then revert back to another for all other internet activity, you are not going to be routed to the ISDN connected ISP on a tropical island that then routes you to an Origin backup content server that is networked through 53 daisy-chained 10Mb hubs.

I rarely have any issue with download speeds at home on any of my game platform, but it does happen from time to time. In fact, downloads were too damn fast because once Comcast rolled out the data cap, the kids and I slammed the brakes on downloading with abandon.  That 100GB Battlefield game does not really need to finish in an hour and a half, but it will, and that's perfectly fine. 

The thread should read 'why are download speeds extremely slow at times on any platform at any location?'.  

Message 255 of 328 (4,631 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@TidalWavesLion He said ”toxic company” not “toxic community”
Message 256 of 328 (4,503 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@PhAse-Shifter-nz wrote:

Putting Origin into R&D mode seems to have done the trick for me. Please try: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Store:Origin#Origin_stops_downloading_after_an_ungiven_threshold

I was having 2-4.5 MBps download speeds, and could not figure out why. Tried a variety of things that didn't seem to work, and I have a gigabit connection. Did what this person suggested and instantly better speeds!

Message 257 of 328 (4,357 Views)

★★★ Novice

500kbps.... over 2 hours for 13gb....

5 Years and counting? Still the same * answers?

Message 258 of 328 (4,113 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I would like to know why the game downloads at 10% of the actual network usage. 

Example

Task manager shows Origin downloading at 100mbs

Origin shows 10mbs download.

Message 259 of 328 (4,090 Views)

@curb69 

Origin measures the download speed in MBps (MB/s)               = Megabyte/sec.

The Windows Task manager measures in Mbps (Mb/s, Mbit/s)  = Megabit/sec

100 Megabit/sec = 12,5 Megabyte/sec.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 260 of 328 (4,071 Views)