why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

by snipeshot9111

Original Post

Re: why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

★★ Novice
Cant believe you have to change a file to make the downloadspeeds quicker litterally x3 my downloading rate wtf EA that's some sort of throttling cause if this is a known fix why aren't you guys helping and just updating the launcher SMH
Message 171 of 328 (3,201 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have never played any EA game since PlayStation console offlines aside from SWtOR and with this Origin download after the CleanBoot, I have gone from under 5MB /Sec to 11ish with the Verizon 940 Mbps package

Message 172 of 328 (3,070 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This was the answer for me - make sure steam is closed, also in all the background processes (usually the bootstapper is still running even after closing steam). Instantly quadrupled my download speed.
Message 173 of 328 (3,047 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay, I know this is old but.. this might be one of my favorite posts of all times. People always talk about stuff without posting sources and here you went and just KILLED it with the links, hilariously, and to great effect. This made my night, also I'm on this forum because I thought it was weird that Origin was downloading at 6MB/s but I'm able to make Steam and other applications download at 60-80MB/s with no problem. So, this still happens in 2019. I'm also an IT professional, I do this stuff for a living, and as EA has only gotten worse throughout the years I have no problem believing that they're still performing shady throttling BS as they please.

Message 174 of 328 (3,002 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I still have bad download speeds
Message 175 of 328 (1,775 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@EA_Darko  Any update on the throttling?

It seems pretty obvious from the evidence presented here and my own experience that under certain situations the client and/or servers throttle downloads. 

Can we get some honesty on what is happening? At least a truthful explanation as to the conditions that lead to it, and how long we can expect to wait for issues to be resolved with this? 

It's quite frustrating to be a premier access member and not be able to play games because patches are taking hours to download even on 1GBPS connection, that clearly is having no problems with any other service.

More to the point, it's obvious that my experience mirrors that of dozens of complaints here, where it was going along at an expected rate for my connection for the first 80% of the patch, then dropped to something like 500kb/s whilst the connection is still fine. Putting it in safe-mode now has the throttling moving between 3mbps-15mbps. Which is a moderate improvement, but crazy given how Steam, Netflix and speed tests are performing on this connection.

Multiple restarts of the client and the machine don't help. Though firewall rules are set correctly, that seems very unlikely to be the issue because it was working fine for a long period of time, why did it suddenly get bad? That isn't an open/close setting in a firewall, that is a problem along the connection.

It seems ridiculous to deny that this is happening at the Origin end given the 17 pages of evidence provided by different people, with different connections, and different setups all experiencing a problem that seems to only occur with Origin for them on their system.

I can believe this is a bug and not anything nefarious, but please be honest about the expected resolution of it and admitting to the problem, rather than pointing at causes that are clearly not the cause. 

Message 176 of 328 (1,715 Views)

★ Novice

I have a 1 gig connection, and my DL for the latest Anthem Path is ... 119kbs.  I just downloaded a game on steam, and it went like lightening.  I can stream some 4k video no issue.  Premier subscriber... and I get KILOBIT DL speeds?  So... so not happy.

Message 177 of 328 (1,669 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mine says 0hr 51 minutes.....then shoots all the way up to 23 hrs and 51 min within a few seconds....screen shot really doesn't mean anything to people who are seeing this. It took my daughter 5 days to download where they said 4 hours. Really? I wont do another download with them ever again. They apparently do not appreciate my business enough.

Message 178 of 328 (1,649 Views)

★ Guide

@JohnWickniggeh wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sljnDpJW9L4

watch this video fixed my problem

Worked for me. Many thanks!

Message 179 of 328 (1,630 Views)

Re: Slow Download

★★★ Newbie

Check if you have safe downloading mode turned on, I'm downloading Apex Legends right now and the reason why it was slow is because of safe downloading mode which makes the downloading very slow.

Message 180 of 328 (1,659 Views)