whenever i try to launch games i get a error about qt platform plugin not loadin

by dakmangames

Original Post

Accepted Solution

whenever i try to launch games i get a error about qt platform plugin not loadin

★★★ Newbie

whenever i try to launch any of my origin games i get this error "this application failed to start because it could not find or load the qt platform plugin "windows" in "". available platform plugins are: windows minimal. reinstalling the application may fix this problem" Ive reinstalled origin so many times now and the games still wont launch and i'm not sure what the hell im meant to do now, as far i know no other parts of pc are affected and origin still opens fine but when i try to launch one my games i get the error, i attached an image of the error window

Message 1 of 30 (38,712 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: whenever i try to launch games i get a error about qt platform plugin not lo

★★★ Newbie

so on top of uninstalling origin i uninstalled the the games i was trying to play and made sure clear all of there data i then installed one of the games (titanfall 2) on a different drive and since i bought it through steam i used the first time setup to install origin and it seems to work now as titanfall 2 launched like it would normally.

View in thread

Message 4 of 30 (38,590 Views)

All Replies

Re: whenever i try to launch games i get a error about qt platform plugin not lo

Community Manager

@dakmangames 

Please manually uninstall Origin using the specific steps here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

Reboot and then download the most recent installer from here: https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/download

Run the Origin installer and then retest again. Do let us know how you get on, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 30 (38,685 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, I am also getting this error on Windows 10. I have followed the instructions to uninstall / reinstall origin and still it does not fix it. 

Message 3 of 30 (38,639 Views)

★★★ Newbie

so on top of uninstalling origin i uninstalled the the games i was trying to play and made sure clear all of there data i then installed one of the games (titanfall 2) on a different drive and since i bought it through steam i used the first time setup to install origin and it seems to work now as titanfall 2 launched like it would normally.

Message 4 of 30 (38,591 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem here. I can go until the downloading phase but it drops and gives me an error code. I'm sorry it's in Japanese. it seemed like I'm the only one having this problem in my team.

Message 5 of 30 (38,575 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried everything I could, uninstalling manually then reinstalling, downloading windows again, erasing all the games I have in origin, I have used my two whole days trying to fix this problem but it didn't seem to fix. After cleaning up my windows, I downloaded origin right away but it still didn't work, when I installed other launchers like epic games, it worked. Please fix it.

Message 6 of 30 (38,549 Views)

application failed to start because it couldn't find qt plugin windows

★★★ Newbie

hey when I try to open Titanfall 2 it show a message saying the following

"the application failed to start because it could not find or load qt platform plugin "windows" in **

available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, windows

reinstalling application may fix this problem."

I have tried to reinstall both Titanfall 2 and origin but haven't had any progress in resolving this issue. help would be cool

Message 7 of 30 (38,437 Views)

Qt error when trying to launch game

★★ Novice

When trying to load Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, I get a Qt error (screen attached). Some details about my environment:

Windows 10

Bought Fallen Order through steam

Fallen Order installed on separate drive then origin

Message 8 of 30 (38,409 Views)

Re: application failed to start because it couldn't find qt plugin windows

Community Manager

Hey all, if seeing this issue the best thing to do is go ahead and run System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Let us know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 30 (38,376 Views)

Re: application failed to start because it couldn't find qt plugin windows

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey there! Thank you for your quick response. Ive ran the health check you recommended and the application didnt find anything amiss (see attached readout). I have also ran sfc and no change. Please advise. 

Googling around, it looks like other applications are also seeing this error. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63164190/matlab-error-not-find-qt-plataform-plugin-windows

Maybe a problem with a recent qt update? Wouldnt be the first time knowing Qt... either way, it's breaking Origin.

Final update - I moved the install from my E:/ drive (where my primary steam library resides) to C:/ (where my origin install resides) and it now works. Not sure why that is the fix, as I was able to play the game previously with this split (origin on C and game on E). Hopefully this solves somebody else's problem. 

Message 10 of 30 (38,326 Views)