Re: transfer origin games to steam

by DunnyWasTaken

Original Post

★ Apprentice

Hey EA support, since we're going to to need Origin anyway to get in games via Steam, please give us the option to migrate our existing Origin games to our Steam account or have some kind of link between the two.

This would be a community-friendly move which is also harmless for your sales, because it is pretty obvious that no-one will buy the same game twice just to play on a different launcher alongside with your old one.

Message 11 of 224 (12,744 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well, people have been requesting this since the news about EA coming back to Steam came out last October. We simply want all our games in the same library for easier management, and we can all agree that Steam is the best place to do so (but over the years we gamers don't really expect game companies to make things easy and simple for us anymore, haha). The majority of us never want to have to buy our Origin games again on Steam because... why would we pay twice for the same old thing? But EA will happily sell you the same games twice.

The problem is, some rich but not smart people will buy the same games twice. For example, Battlefield games just came back to Steam for only one day and some people already bought them, despite having them on Origin. Now if EA give us for free the Steam version of the Origin games we owned, these rich but not smart people will start crying for refund, lol, and it only gets more complicate. So, dude, don't expect much.

Message 12 of 224 (12,682 Views)

★★ Guide

@404DudeNotFound 

Unfortunately that's true. I have seen some people commenting on a FB group about buying again on Steam. And I'm like "why??". Ok, I get why they want to, but why not wait some time and see if EA transfers. You already have the game so that means you can play it. Continue playing on Origin and wait to see if EA allows it. Done deal. Besides, if you could use the money for something else. I play on PC which I would gladly save this money for a rig upgrade.

But as you said, rich but dumb people...

Message 13 of 224 (12,671 Views)

★★ Guide
@404DudeNotFound A lot of them won't cry for a refund though because Steam support always provides refunds for games with less than 2 hours playtime and before 14 days since purchase. That will already help a fair amount of players, just look at the Steam reviews for the Battlefield games, most are under 2 hours. But I'm going to keep pushing EA for this, hopefully one day it pays off but I'm not expecting it to.
Message 14 of 224 (12,670 Views)

★★★ Novice

There would be so much goodwill created if EA was to allow customers that already bought their games on Origin to be able to transfer them to Steam. I own a lot of the games on Origin that came to Steam recently and I do not plan on buying them on Steam. That would actually be an impressive way to get their PR brownie points with all customers that bought their games pre-purchase or on sale, since they already gave them money once for the same game. I just think it would be good business in the sense that they would keep their customers happy. 

Message 15 of 224 (12,523 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am waiting for the time that I can transfer my origin games to steam.

Message 16 of 224 (12,489 Views)

★ Guide
@404DudeNotFound i understand the situation, but i mean, we are not asking this much. Even Bethesda gave a free copy of Fallout 76 to the ones who owned the game on Bethesda Launcher when the came on Steam. They should do a promo like just for a month you can do it for free. And if someone already purchased the game they could ive them a free dlc or free in-game currency idk.
Message 17 of 224 (12,469 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Exactly. they should do this just to show us good will.

EA has lost a huge amount of its loyal fanbase, and lots of potentially new fans over the years after all that has happened with Battlefield and other anti-consumer policies.

Now they really have to set the ground for Battlefield 6 and all upcoming PS5 and XBOX games. 

Letting the community know they're back in business with no * again will be more profitable than a small amount of double-purchase-cash-grab  made by people who are confused about the whole multi-platform situation.

Also just think about the amount of refunds and refund requests they will have to handle when people realize they STILL need Origin to play.

Message 18 of 224 (12,455 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Everyone,

I agree that it would be awesome to have my Origin Games transferred to Steam with no extra cost, but for me is just to push those games to Proton since i run Linux on all my machines. And since Proton is only on Steam, it would be great to have all the series in one place. I also hope it would be possible to transfer my saved games from my EA account to steam if the game doesn't need Origin to be launched (Mass Effect, Crysis 3, Etc...).

Origin is a pain to use with Wine (Lutris make things easier, but not flawless) and i'm tired of having a Windows headless PC just for streaming windows only games or games with anticheat.

Thanks for listening ;-)

Message 19 of 224 (12,387 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same here, EA please! Let hear us at least with this one!

Message 20 of 224 (12,349 Views)