sims 4 won't open with origin

by cheese4823

Original Post

sims 4 won't open with origin

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

ok so. the timezone in the UK changed to BST, aka an hour ahead, and my laptop didnt change automatically. it was bothering me immensely, so i changed it. and now, i cannot open the sims 4 without this pop-up appearing every time. i've found multiple people with the same issues posted on this website, but they solutions havent worked. i think it has to do with me changing the time, and i've changed it back to what it was before and it still hasnt worked. not to mention i've been playing the sims 4 since 2015 and am only now running into this. please help me resolve the issue

Message 1 of 15 (1,023 Views)

Re: sims 4 won't open with origin

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @cheese4823.

Can you go ahead and ensure that neither your anti-virus or firewall is blocking Origin of the game. You can test this by disabling both and then trying to launch The Sims 4 again. If it works then you just need to add an exception for both. 

If the issue remains can you try a clean boot and then try launching the game: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

If the issue remains then please let me know and we will take it from there.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 15 (974 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i've already ran a cleanboot, and have disabled all startup programs. i really appreciate the help, but i've tried alot of solutions so far. 

Message 3 of 15 (965 Views)

Community Manager

Were you able to test to see if disabling your anti-virus and firewall made a difference @cheese4823?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 15 (938 Views)

★★★★ Novice

yes. the firewall was allowing both origin and the sims 4 to run, and the antivirus seemed to be turned off already by group policy or whatever. i'll try look into it more to see if i've missed something, but i'm certain the problem is centered around the time change of my computer, though i'm not sure why.

Message 5 of 15 (915 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @cheese4823 what you can do is go ahead and check that your location settings on the system are correct and then in your time and date options set them as automatic. The issue you are seeing is an odd one and I tried playing around with the time on my system here but it had no effect on the game and simply made me think for a moment that home time had come very quickly.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 15 (884 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i really wish your solutions where helping, but they just arent! It's extremely annoying and im sorry your the one thats bothering about this. i changed the times to automatic and made sure my origin account was the correct time, still the same pop-up as per usual. i'll retry some of your solutions and update you if there's anything knew, but the issues still not solved yet-

Message 7 of 15 (870 Views)

Community Manager

Let's try clearing the Origin Cache @cheese4823 to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

If after this it is still not working then can you try a clean install of Origin:

1. Try re-installing Origin:
    1. Close the Origin client.
    2. Open the Control Panel (find it by searching “Control Panel” in the Start menu).
    3. Click on Uninstall a program under Programs.
    4. Click on Originand uninstall.
    5. Reinstall Origin

Try running Origin as an administrator:

2. Right-click the Origin client icon on your desktop (or in the Origin directory if not on your desktop) and click Run As Administrator.

This runs the Origin client as an administrator account, and should let the game  install.

Try lowering the User Access Control settings:

2. Click the Windowsbutton and type "UAC" in the search field. 
  3. In the User Access Control window, click and hold the slide bar —slide it to the lowest setting available. 
  4. Click Okat the bottom of the window. 
  5. Open the Origin client 

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 15 (852 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i followed all your steps (tho it took a while since it wasn't letting me delete the files at first) but it didn't work. i might run ccleaner and see if that will do anything.

Message 9 of 15 (725 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko , i think i've realised a bit more of where the problems coming from. EA and Origin aren't causing the problem. i'm able to play Sims 2 and the Sims 3 with origin and ea. So, i think it's just the sims 4 thats broken. i've uninstalled and reinstalled the sims 4 twice now, repaired the game multiple times, even changed the game's language to french and back to english. still the same. i've deleted screenshots and taken out cc from my mods folder.

Message 10 of 15 (714 Views)