"You're Currently in Windows Compatibility Mode"

by zerotas

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"You're Currently in Windows Compatibility Mode"

★★★★★ Novice

I have recently begun receiving this message every time I startup Origin. The full message is:

"You're Currently in Windows Compatibility Mode: You are about to launch Origin in Windows Compatibility Mode. Please disable Compatibility Mode if you encounter any issues."

I am running Windows 8.1 and have never had this issue before. I have never changed the compatibility mode of Origin or any Origin related app or any associated game. I have checked every .exe in the Origin folder, including the Origin app, and none of them is set to run in compatibility mode. I have tried logging off and back on, uninstalling Origin and reinstalling, clicking and unclicking the Compatibility Mode box for the Origin app...nothing has prevented this irritating message.

I am able to startup Origin games as usual, as far as I can tell so far. I just keep getting the irritating warning message.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 35 (115,445 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "You're Currently in Windows Compatibility Mode"

★★ Novice

I fixed this problem.

Right click the Origin application and then go to "Compatibility". Select nothing in this tab, if you did, just remove them.

Restart the computer.

Now you won't get that warning,,,

View in thread

Message 3 of 35 (122,983 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Hi, I have the same issue. Just happened today when I tried to log on.

What is the problem?

Message 2 of 35 (115,258 Views)

★★ Novice

I fixed this problem.

Right click the Origin application and then go to "Compatibility". Select nothing in this tab, if you did, just remove them.

Restart the computer.

Now you won't get that warning,,,

Message 3 of 35 (122,984 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, Moonlightandpond.

As I mentioned in my post, I have never changed compatibility mode in Origin or anything associated with it. I have already double-checked to make sure the Compatibility Mode box is unchecked, restarted, checked, unchecked, and restarted again. I have logged off and on Origin and reinstalled Origin.

So far, no joy.

Thanks anyway.

Message 4 of 35 (115,223 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same problem, all boxes were unchecked except "run this program as administrator" I unchecked that clicked apply and ok and shut it down and restarted origin and it went away.

Message 5 of 35 (115,094 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Uhm, my mom was having this issue since july 1st, and just unticking "run as administrator" (it was ticked) seemed to do the trick. Thanx @Slapinator1

Message 6 of 35 (114,774 Views)

★★ Novice

having the same issue. Driving me insane - have done everything I know of to fix the problem. Anyone have any idea on how to fix it? Compatibility was never ticked, Run as administrator was never ticked so its got me f*****

Message 7 of 35 (114,620 Views)

★★ Novice

same issue here. Opens into a very small window, with no scrollable nor clickable parts.  I did have it set to Compatibility Mode and to Run as Administrator.

Unchecked both. No result. Did an uninstall and reinstall with fresh download. No difference.

Finally, just now, Origin log in popped up and it had a message about THEM having technical problem.. 

So one more time, Origin pops up and I log in and the normal Origin window now pops up. Time to play !

Message 8 of 35 (114,429 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

This might work as far as getting rid of the compatibility error prompt. But this also requires that you uncheck "Run as Administrator". Sadly, a lot of games require you to run Origin as Admin like Battlefield 4 for example or it will boot you from games. So if i took this route, and unchecked Admin in my compatibility properties, I would have to right click on Origin>Run as Admin>then select my preferred game everytime. Which is, needless to say, time consuming and irritating when you have to do this every time you want to play.

Run as Admin is there for a reason. Let us use it!

Message 9 of 35 (110,472 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@barleystew  Hi, 

What you can then do instead is ensuring that your UAC is enabled and set to notify. That should let Windows prompt you whenever Administrator is required.

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 10 of 35 (109,889 Views)