"Hold up! An update is required"

by WalkWhenICanFly

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"Hold up! An update is required"

★★ Apprentice

Hello all!

I am having serious problems with the Origin client. When I try to run Origin, or any of the games, it starts updating to latest version, then I get the above message - basically that I should be using an OS that's Windows 7 or newer. I'm using Windows 10.

List of stuff I've tried:

• Clearing Origin's cache
  • Updating my graphic driver
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling
  • Installing Origin above the existing one - both this and uninstall + reinstall got me the same results: Origin ran right after the install, but still would not run my games (I clicked "play", the button greyed out, then nothing happened and it was clickable again). After I quit Origin, it was back to the way it was.
  • Tried lowering the UAC (no idea what that does actually, but seen it suggested somewhere)
  • A clean uninstall and reinstall (from here) - this actually worked...for a while. At first everything was fine and dandy again, all games (far as I could tell) and the launcher was working, then I wasn't able to run The Sims 3, but the other games worked fine and the launcher started ok. Then, now, again, I'm back to where I started. "An update is required."

I'm really not a computer whiz, so if anybody has any more ideas? Shoot. Thank you all. I'd really think it a waste to have to buy a game again, but in a different store - I'd have to do that with The Sims, and there are some games that are not even available on Steam and I'm more worried about that.

Message 1 of 23 (16,350 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "Hold up! An update is required"

★★★ Novice

Hi Walk (and anyone else who is having the same issue). So I finally am able to play Sims, Mass Effect and etc.!

Here is what I did:

1. cleaned origin cache - didn´t work actually Large smile

2. clean reinstall with Revo (thank you for the walkthrough)

3. run Origin as an administrator

4.update + repair the game

5. run the game as an administrator

It is not working without steps 4 and 5.

I hope it will work for good now as you wrote this worked for you for just a while but I think the problem was that the Origin is no longer supported in my language (Czech) so that is why it could not update itself properly. Now I have it in English, I just had to change the language manually in the registry of my Sims 2 game because I prefer it in Czech but ME I like better in English.

So maybe it could be other´s people problem too that their language version is no longer supported and that Origin is just stuck now after that and after the end of the Legacy system.

I hope it was at least a little bit helpful and you can launch your games soon! :-)

View in thread

Message 9 of 23 (15,936 Views)

All Replies

origins wont let me update because it thinks im below windows 7

★★★ Newbie

Whenever I open origins it won't let me update and comes up telling me to update my windows OS, I'm currently on windows 10. tried redownloading and restarting as well as compatibility mode

Message 2 of 23 (16,382 Views)

Re: origins wont let me update because it thinks im below windows 7

★★★ Newbie

here's a screenshot of what happens 

Message 3 of 23 (16,377 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello Walk, I have a same issue for several weeks now, I tried almost everything like you (except reinstalling the Origin). I am pretty pissed off because I bought a lot of games (all the Dragon Ages, Mass Effects + all the DLC´s, all Sims 2, Star Wars) and I just cannot launch anything!

I have Windows 10 which is up to date, graphic card is quite new, up to date as well.

I think this started a month ago when they removed the legacy system....

If anyone has an idea how to solve it I would be really grateful, my boyfriend has exactly the same issue, even reported it to support a week ago but no reply yet :-(

Message 4 of 23 (16,281 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Nikoshka8182 

Hello,

Clean your Origin Cache. To do that use the steps below.

How to clean Origin Cache:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Try clean uninstall and reinstall from here.

You can try lowering UAC:

1. Click the Start menu. In the search field type UAC.
  2. Click "Change User Account Control settings."
  3. In the window that comes up, move the slider down to "Never Notify."
  4. Click OK and then restart the computer.

Crispo

Message 5 of 23 (16,339 Views)

Origin won't install because it says my Windows is outdated

★★★ Newbie

So I had Origin installed before, it worked perectly fine. I uninstalled it because I didn't like it in the end. 2 months later I bought ''The Sims 4" on CD, it told me to install Origin again, so I followed the steps. I'm stuck on the point where you have to open the app. It just says something like "Update to Windows 7+". I have Windows 10. Can someone please let me know how to fix this problem?

Message 6 of 23 (16,264 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Nikoshka8182 Yep, same here
Message 7 of 23 (16,202 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Alright, not a solution, but I've found a workaround for the time being where I can play. Unfortunately it only works if you already have games installed, it doesn't work if you try to just start Origin. I'm using The Sims 3 to do this, just because it has a launcher that makes things easier, but it works with other games, as far as I've tried.

The theory: I noticed that when the "hold up" window pops up, there's actually a second window that you can only notice if you hover over the Origin icon. (Picture enclosed) It looks blank at first, but if you click it you'll notice it's a lowkey version of Origin (picture enclosed). We really need this window, but if you click "close" on the "hold up" window, this will close, too. The way to stop this: start a game.

The desktop shortcuts work fine for this, or whatever you have. DON'T click "close" on the hold up window until a game has started (The Sims launchers count as games running). If your game doesn't start, just click on something in the lowkey Origin that's in your library. If you have another game that doesn't have a launcher, press the Windows key and minimise it. NOW click on "close" on the hold up window - another window will pop up, saying you can't close Origin while a game is running. (Picture enclosed) That's wonderful, that's what we want, click ok.

Now you're free to close your game. The minimised Origin won't close, and you're free to run anything until you either quit Origin or restart your computer. It's not very ideal, but it's all I have Frown

Message 8 of 23 (16,046 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Walk (and anyone else who is having the same issue). So I finally am able to play Sims, Mass Effect and etc.!

Here is what I did:

1. cleaned origin cache - didn´t work actually Large smile

2. clean reinstall with Revo (thank you for the walkthrough)

3. run Origin as an administrator

4.update + repair the game

5. run the game as an administrator

It is not working without steps 4 and 5.

I hope it will work for good now as you wrote this worked for you for just a while but I think the problem was that the Origin is no longer supported in my language (Czech) so that is why it could not update itself properly. Now I have it in English, I just had to change the language manually in the registry of my Sims 2 game because I prefer it in Czech but ME I like better in English.

So maybe it could be other´s people problem too that their language version is no longer supported and that Origin is just stuck now after that and after the end of the Legacy system.

I hope it was at least a little bit helpful and you can launch your games soon! :-)

Message 9 of 23 (15,937 Views)

Orgin update and compatibility fail

★ Novice

I just did a virgin install of windows 10 and installed origin so my wife could play her games.  I'm not going to rant on about my feelings for being forced to deal with a program just to run a program I had to pay for. The problem I'm having is after origin installs, it will open with a window saying its in compatibility mode (its not) tells me I need to update to a newer version of windows ( I'm running windows 10 64 bit), and then closes out.  I can even open the game I bought to play it due to origin not working.  Any help would be appreciated. or if anybody knows a way to ditch origin and run a disk with out the head ache of greed I would greatly appreciate any input.

Message 10 of 23 (14,669 Views)