"Hard Drive is full" Error even though I have sufficient space available.

by sovikot

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"Hard Drive is full" Error even though I have sufficient space available.

★ Novice

Hello, when I first launch the Origin launcher, the "Hard Drive is full" error pops up. This issue made me stumped because I have well over 500GB+ left of storage available. 

I'd like to say that all my drives are platformed on NTFS file system.

So far I have done:

-Uninstall and reinstall Origin.

-Move Origin files to different drives.

-Restart my PC

Message 1 of 17 (35,250 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "Hard Drive is full" Error even though I have sufficient space ava

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @sovikot.

Do you have multiple hard drives or partitions? If so can you check and ensure that Origin isn't downloading to another drive which has little space on it?

It's also no harm to clear the Origin Cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 17 (35,215 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @sovikot.

Do you have multiple hard drives or partitions? If so can you check and ensure that Origin isn't downloading to another drive which has little space on it?

It's also no harm to clear the Origin Cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 17 (35,216 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue, PC, game installed on an additional internal hard drive with Terabytes of space available.  The other drive also has more than enough space.   I followed the directions to clear cache/folders in both of my drives.  I've updated application download settings to the drive that has the game.  The game Witcher 3 did download correctly.  The DLC will not. 

It's too late in the evening to call for technical help.  Very frustrated with Origin.  But, very pleased with the base game. 

Message 3 of 17 (35,197 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Darko Thanks for your clear simple instructions! Unfortunately it didn't work for me. After Restarting PC then relaunch Origins, error message popped up before I could even select a game. "not enough hard drive space" I have SSD +550GB free...
Thx anyway
Message 4 of 17 (35,158 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having this problem but I'm on a mac. Origin let me buy and download expansion packs for my game but says I cannot play without updating. Won't update because my hard drive is full, but it's not. 

Please tell me how to fix this problem on a mac. 

Message 5 of 17 (35,087 Views)

BF V won't update, says hard drive is full, when its not.

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Origin won't update Battlefield V, error says that I am out of space on my designated hard drive.

I have 36.6 GB's of space available on that Hard drive. BF v has its own dedicated ssd.

I can't try and repair the game  as it comes up with the same error.

Origin won't even allow me to submit an error report from origin direct.

Message 6 of 17 (35,110 Views)

Re: BF V won't update, says hard drive is full, when its not.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

The problem existed a few weeks ago for me. By completely removing the current version, downloading the former version and preventing origin from updating it downloaded the update for sims 4. No I have the same problem again because I couldnt play, the app didnt let me go past the login screen unless I update.

THERE IS NO UPDATE REQUIRED TO THIS CRAPPY SOFTWARE! THERE WAS NO IMPROVEMENT HAPPENING WITH THE LAST TWO PATCHES AT ALL! IT CAUSED ONLY PROBLEMS THAT HAVENT BEEN FIXED IN YEARS! The other thread of this problem is from 2013! 2000 FREAKING 13!!
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Origin-is-incorrectly-reading-my-hard-drive-sp...

I deleted the origin folders in local folders and in another, had a full reset of origin, it checked the full game files but still shows the "hard drive is full" error thats evidently not accurate. I have two hard drives involved. One for my operating system with 33gb space available and my gaming drive with 7gb free space left. I have no clue what the hell the app is scanning but its neither of them obviously. Its not reinstalling a game, its supposed to download a small sims 4 update thats definately not 7gb in size!

It scanned two games. It took a really long time for battlefront because its 78gb and there too it says there is not enough space available.

The more I think about it, the more I say these origin updates are just hot air because the app doesnt change at all. The same problems obviously persist.

Message 7 of 17 (35,043 Views)

Re: BF V won't update, says hard drive is full, when its not.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

New update to origin. No change. Problem persists.

But I solved the problem again. I deinstalled the current version, I downloaded version 10.4.12.59996 from here: https://origin.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/1630247, just installed it, disabled automatic updates during installation, set the region, didnt change the language because the installation doesnt include that option (just because Im a specific region in europe doesnt mean I want origin to be in that specific language), went to the library and updated manually.

Im keeping this working version of origin as long as EA doesnt manage to get this buf fixed.

Message 8 of 17 (35,013 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem on my Mac... did you ever figure out how to fix it?

Message 9 of 17 (32,678 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this issue with well over 200 gb on the drive.  It is set to download to that drive and has been since I first installed Origin and Apex Legends.  The list of how to fix is horrible.  I should not have to go into run program to fix a problem on ORIGIN's end.  This is a problem people have been having with Origin for well over a year.  How in the heck is it not fixed yet?  This is literally not a problem on steam or many other launchers.

Message 10 of 17 (26,337 Views)