Re: "Download in Progress" bug with Origin client on PC

by EmpathyHeals

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"Download in Progress" bug with Origin client on PC

★★★★ Novice

I just finished downloading two DLC for Dragon Age 2.   The last one to complete was the high res texture pack.   Both seemed to complete.

Ever since then, every time I fire up a game through Origin (any game, not just Dragon Age 2), a dialog pops up saying:

-------

Download in Progress

Launching this game while a download is in progress can negatively

impact gameplay.   Are you sure you want to continue?

1,111.72 MB of  1,117.25 MB

--------

I guess it's talking about the texture pack, because it was about 1GB and it was the last thing downloaded, but it completed downloading and installing.

Except that after 2 hours, that last 5.5 MB still hasn't downloaded, the connection doesn't seem to be active, so it's not actually downloading anything.   I've tried shutting down and restarting the origin client, but it still does that.    Any ideas what's going on, and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Villnius

Message 1 of 16 (32,776 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

There is an alternate solution to this problem. You need to go into C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache and delete any folder(s) that is(are) in there.  Then restart the Origin Client.  It may complain that it needs to download whatever it was you last installed again. Just cancel it and you will be good to go.

View in thread

Message 3 of 16 (37,351 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Update

--------------

Apparently the EA support solution was to uninstall the game and re-download it.  

While it did fix the problem, there's got to be a more elegant solution than to leave the Origin client running 8+ hours re-downloading the game when there's a glitch.

Message 2 of 16 (32,734 Views)

★★ Novice

There is an alternate solution to this problem. You need to go into C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache and delete any folder(s) that is(are) in there.  Then restart the Origin Client.  It may complain that it needs to download whatever it was you last installed again. Just cancel it and you will be good to go.

Message 3 of 16 (37,352 Views)

★★★ Newbie

All i did to fix mine was going clicking on the sims 4 on Origin, then clicked on settings, then repair, took about 5 minutes to go threw all my folders (i have every stuff pack, expansion and game pack) and then it was fixed.

Message 4 of 16 (27,999 Views)

★ Novice

Running Origin.exe with admin helps me. Solved this problem with BF4 download!

Message 5 of 16 (27,268 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't exactly understand what you mean by:
"C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache and delete any folder(s) that is(are) in there."

Can you explain, as I am having the same problem.

Message 6 of 16 (25,920 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don't have a C:\ProgramData\ directory. Same thing happened to me trying to start up Tyranny. I repaired and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Message 7 of 16 (25,491 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this problem and there are no folders under download cache. Running as Admin doesn't stop it. Also It won't download the DLC for the game.. I am NOT about to re-download 45 gigs of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Message 8 of 16 (18,478 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Oops. I didn't actually quit Origin. Shows how much I use it: I just closed the window, unaware that it's still running in the background and can be accessed from the tray.

Apparently all I had to do was restart Origin. I did start it in admin mode, so I am not sure if that had an effect.

P.S. I don't like this client. I wish I could just use steam.

Message 9 of 16 (18,468 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Every version of windows has had a "C:\ProgramData\" directory.since "windows 98" open file explorer go to the Address bar and type C:\ProgramData\. Its basic knowledge that there are hidden files and folders in every operating system. If you really want there are tutorials all over the internet on how to show hidden files in windows. But be careful they are hidden because they can cause damage if tampered with.... but as long as you know what you are doing, and are careful then it should be fine.

ScreenShot_20190919213617.pngScreenShot_20190919213646.png

Message 10 of 16 (12,900 Views)