originthinsetup doesn't run or open at all

by SteamedPolecat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

originthinsetup doesn't run or open at all

★★★ Novice

tried everything suggested to get origin to work. i uninstalled because for the last 2 months it has said origin is installing the newest version. now when i am trying to run the origin thing setup it doesn't even open, tried all the suggestions here including admin rights, command prompt, disabling fire walls etc, and nothing. you click on the origin thing set up and it won't even run or open.

how can EA, such a big company have such an issue where i can't install their product to play their games. it's basically like steam but nowhere near as useful - if i could run BF4 etc without origin i'd prefer it.

can somebody with any knowledge help me, as i've said, tried everything including registry scrubs etc?

Message 1 of 43 (39,292 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: originthinsetup doesn't run or open at all

Community Manager

@RazerDash5@JustinsWorld4All Can you both try clearing the Origin Cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin
Darko.png

View in thread

Message 8 of 43 (39,116 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@SteamedPolecat

Please manually uninstall Origin using the specific steps here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

Reboot and then download the most recent installer from here: https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/download

Run the Origin installer and then retest again. Do let us know how you get on, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 43 (39,239 Views)

★★★ Novice

already done. when i have the origin thin client it just won't even open. i get the circle to say the PC is working and then nothing happens. i just wanna play BF4, but there is no way around doing so without origin, or is there?

Message 3 of 43 (39,235 Views)

Community Manager

@SteamedPolecat

Disable your antivirus or other security software until the install is complete.

Perform a clean boot before starting the installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Again, let us know if this helps, thanks.

barry.png
Message 4 of 43 (39,222 Views)

★★★ Novice

already tried all of these things as mentioned. it just won't run the EXE, i managed to find another version of the install client which also didn't work - i';ve installed other programs since this issue so i know that it isn't anything my PC isn't allowing, i have been able to run installs for other things, just not origin. it's really annoying that for 2 months it insisted it was installing the latest version, not letting me play games and being in offline mode. when i do the normal thing and try to uninstall to reinstall like anybody else might, i just can't.

really annoyed tbh, why can't it just be on steam for example, or just run as a standalone, and not have to run a program every body complains about.

Message 5 of 43 (39,209 Views)

★★★ Novice
I am new to origin and new to gaming on a PC.

After installing origin and battlefield 4 for the first time it worked perfectly, the next day I attempt to open battlefield 4 and nothing happns. Not even when trying to run it from the battle log web page. And my origin app won't run.
Attempting to fix the problem I uninstalled both battlefield and origin.
And when I try to install origin again, the origin thin setup file fails to run and nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Here go to this link this is an older version, but once you install its going to update to the newer version this accually works try it:

https://www.dm.origin.com/download/legacy

Message 6 of 43 (39,118 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having the same problem, tried everything with no success, while my friend installed Origin with no problem. :/ This is just stupid at this point.

Message 7 of 43 (39,100 Views)

Community Manager

@RazerDash5@JustinsWorld4All Can you both try clearing the Origin Cache to see if it helps.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin
Darko.png
Message 8 of 43 (39,117 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried that and still nothing. Absolutely nothing I try will get Origin to install and I guess I just wasted my money. I'm never buying anything else from EA

Message 9 of 43 (38,851 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I had the same problem and the solution is the following:

After doing what EA-Darko said. Please exit Origin, use the task manager if you need to.

Manually Uninstall Origin.

Use CCleaner to clean your registry.

Do a Clean Boot.

Disable any firewall or antivirus that might not be disabled on a clean boot.

Download Origin Here.

Locate that file, it's called "OriginThinSeteup.exe"

Right click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

See if that gets Origin installed and working for you.

If it does please reboot normally the, always run Origin as Administrator.

Message 10 of 43 (38,276 Views)