Re: origin wont install

by 19481975

Original Post

Accepted Solution

origin wont install

★ Novice

I've had origin installed on my (windows 10) computer before but I uninstalled it. I'm trying to reinstall it but it keeps coming up with an error message saying that I need to update my computer to windows 7 or above. as stated I'm using windows 10 (although not completely up to date) so this shouldn't be happening. I have managed to get it to the update screen that comes up when launching origin but running it offline gives the same error message and I don't have the disk space to download the update, not that I should need it as the version of origin im trying to download is the latest one off the website.

something else to note is earlier before I tried to download origin I tried to install sims 3 off disk and got the same update to windows 7 message. would that have anything to do with it?

Message 1 of 5 (652 Views)

Accepted Solution

@UcchanGirl  Installing Sims 3 via disc might well be the issue.  The disc versions that require Origin were manufactured starting in 2012, and most of them would have shipped with a version of Origin that is no longer supported.  That version was until recently maintained for people on Windows XP and Vista, who couldn't run the more recent version of Origin.  But it was sunset a couple of weeks ago; Origin now only supports Windows 7 and later.

So if the disc installed the old Origin and then it tried to update itself, that could cause the error.  It's not that your PC is out of date, it's that the old version of Origin that is now telling anyone still running it to update to a supported OS.  So instead of installing Origin via TS3 disc, wipe that install and download the latest version.  First, clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

I'm not sure how many of these files existed in the old versions of Origin, but clear out any you find.

Then use Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine, either regular or portable) to remove all traces of Origin, except for the Origin Games folder.  Here's how:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller from here (again, the free versions are fine).
  • Install Revo, open it, and uninstall Origin.  When it's finished, Revo will ask you which cleaning method you want to use.  Select "Moderate" and then Browse.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders.  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if you have any Origin games installed.  (This is where those games are located by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Restart your computer.

Next, download and install Origin.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator," just to be thorough.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (632 Views)

All Replies

@UcchanGirl  Installing Sims 3 via disc might well be the issue.  The disc versions that require Origin were manufactured starting in 2012, and most of them would have shipped with a version of Origin that is no longer supported.  That version was until recently maintained for people on Windows XP and Vista, who couldn't run the more recent version of Origin.  But it was sunset a couple of weeks ago; Origin now only supports Windows 7 and later.

So if the disc installed the old Origin and then it tried to update itself, that could cause the error.  It's not that your PC is out of date, it's that the old version of Origin that is now telling anyone still running it to update to a supported OS.  So instead of installing Origin via TS3 disc, wipe that install and download the latest version.  First, clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

I'm not sure how many of these files existed in the old versions of Origin, but clear out any you find.

Then use Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine, either regular or portable) to remove all traces of Origin, except for the Origin Games folder.  Here's how:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller from here (again, the free versions are fine).
  • Install Revo, open it, and uninstall Origin.  When it's finished, Revo will ask you which cleaning method you want to use.  Select "Moderate" and then Browse.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders.  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if you have any Origin games installed.  (This is where those games are located by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Restart your computer.

Next, download and install Origin.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator," just to be thorough.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (633 Views)

★ Novice

Thankyou so much!!! This was a tone of help! Standard smile))))

Message 3 of 5 (600 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that it is sorted @UcchanGirl.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 5 (593 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem as well but if its fixed now for you how did you do it and if not we should contact origin/EA or someone who works at a computer shop or anything close to that and we can't do it now because of quarantine and the virus spreading around and I had origin on my pc as well but I can't do anything to fix the problem

Message 5 of 5 (392 Views)