origin crashes on startup after attempting to move

by Captn_Hobbs

Original Post

origin crashes on startup after attempting to move

★ Novice

I recently got a new drive and wanted to move one of my games utilizing the move game option in origin.  As soon as I did that and selected a new location Origin crashed and now always immediately crashes on startup.  I tried clearing out the Origin cache using instructions on this forum but it still seems to crash every single time on startup.  None of the game files ever even attempted to move as the destination folder is empty.  Please help.

Message 1 of 8 (4,676 Views)

Re: origin crashes on startup after attempting to move

Community Manager

That's an odd one @Captn_Hobbs.

Can you grab me a DxDiag so that I can take a look at your system: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 8 (4,614 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I just came across some crashes like this too. I was going to move my The Sims 4 out of C drive thanks to the recent expansion I acquired, but Origin just crashes after the move starts. Ever time I restarted Origin it just begin to try to "verify" the game files and crashes immediately after, time after time. I tried clearing cache files and that did nothing. No files were moved, either.

Would be nice if this can be looked into, so I can at least know I can move games safely, without having to worry I might have to reinstall everything.

Message 3 of 8 (4,588 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Okay I finally got a little bit clue what's going on with this one. It might be Origin somehow tried to move the game to Origin's installation folder before moving the game to the path you asked it to.

I just got Origin crashed again this time and came with a explorer popup(seen in attached file) saying not enough space in Local Disk. It didn't specify which but I'm pretty sure it was C drive where Origin is, while I was to move the game to H drive.

That being said, a solution might be clearing some stuff out of the Origin drive, like temporarily moving out some unimportant files, clearing cache etc. Then move back after Origin's done probably.

Message 4 of 8 (4,531 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, this could happen while trying to move or locate any game. But I've found that temporarily moving the "Origin Games" folder (on the destination drive) to another directory and launching Origin caused the buggy game being moved or verified to completely disappear. Of course, all of the games on your folder would seem like they need to be re-downloaded.
Then just restore the Origin Games folder (again, on the destination drive); and in a minute or so Origin would automatically show that all of your previous downloads are available again. Head to settings and make sure the correct directory is still listed in the install&save tab for good measure.
If you still want to move that particular game, you would have to do it manually, because it'll most likely crash Origin again.
First initiate a download (making sure the complete game folder is somewhere else). And as soon as your download begins, hit pause and move the files into the Origin Games folder and overwrite Origin's attempted download folder. Head back into the app and resume. It would take a moment to verify and finalize and it'll be ready to play in no time.

Message 5 of 8 (4,443 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Didn't work for me. It still overwrote everything I'd copied in.

Message 6 of 8 (2,556 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ran into this issue recently and if you are in a situation where moving the folder isnt possible, you can simply rename the folder E.G. Origin Games1. Once you launch origin change it on the setting on the app and a new folder will be created. Then go to your library cancel all repairs, rename the new folder E.G. Origin Games2 and then change the old one back to the original Origin Games. then initiate repair again and you should be ok to go 

Message 7 of 8 (1,849 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I went thru this issue and was able to fix it by logging onto the webclient of origin, signing in, and removing the game from library on there. Then I was able to reopen the Origin App without it crashing and re-install the game

Message 8 of 8 (1,079 Views)