Re: games do not respond correctly and/or black out

by Irpong

Original Post

games do not respond correctly and/or black out

★★★ Newbie

I have been playing Command and Conquer for years. Was forced to do an update oh say a month ago when I tried to play again for the first time in a while. I usually play kanes wrath which now will  let me set up all the parameters for the skirmish i want to play and load the game. however i cannot select anything in the menu as far as building something. on this game only if i quick key (windows + d) to exit to desktop and the select it to open again all functionality returns and i can play my game. Well tonight I tried to play yuri's revenge and i couldnt even get through the first screen to selcect mission or skirmish or anything. did my quick key fix for kanes wrath and then only got a black screen with the music playing. had to ctrl alt delete and force close yuris program itself and reloaded then i had functionality again. however during the game (17 mins in) I kept noticing continued difficulty with trying to select or place units or buildings. i was trying to do a multiselect of units and the mouse cursor seemed to mirror itself, i had my normal opaque 3d looking cursor and a mirror image ghosted 2d version of it next to it. so i tried my windows d quick key to reset and nothing but black screen and music. I was able to hit esc key and heard it go into pause but when music changed to pause music it just looped and although blacked out i moved mouse around listening for selection chimes and no luck at this point i was completely locked out with a black screen. couldn't unpause or anything. I would really like to know whats going on and make it stop.

Message 1 of 3 (537 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

The graphics system patch <removed> is known to solve the "black screen" issue for many people.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

(CM: edited to remove link to 3rd party downloads per forum rules)

Message 2 of 3 (422 Views)

★★★ Newbie

bruh i paid for this... i'm not doing all that... fix it!!

Message 3 of 3 (340 Views)