Re: Would this laptop support the sims 4:

by gemma_drew2963

Original Post

Would this laptop support the sims 4:

★ Novice

I’ve been looking at the ASUS VivoBook K403FA 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, 256 GB SSD to replace my current laptop which no longer works with the sims, will this laptop be suitable? I have a few expansions an want to get more in the future but I’m not interested in playing any other games. I’m willing to hear any other suggestions however I don’t want to spend tonnes on a new laptop.

Message 1 of 7 (881 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @gemma_drew2963 you can find the system requirements to run The Sims 4 here: https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4

The best thing to do is to check the specs of the game from Origin against the system you are looking at.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 7 (855 Views)

★ Novice

The website doesn't have requirements for laptops, should I just use the PC requirements? Also it mentions a graphics card which I've only seen on gaming laptops/PC is that essential or can I go without?

Message 3 of 7 (843 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @gemma_drew2963 when looking at specs, PC specs would refer both to a PC build and a laptop. Every laptop will have a graphics card, for some it may be integrated and others will have an integrated one and a dedicated GPU. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 7 (833 Views)

@gemma_drew2963  It would be easier to give you a good answer if you linked the laptop you're considering directly.  With an i7, the laptop should at least be able to handle medium settings, maybe high if the processor comes with one of the better integrated graphics chips (e.g. G7) rather than the default one (UHD 620).  It's always better to actually look at the product page though.

EA's posted requirements for Sims 4 are effectively useless.  The base game reqs are for the base game only (no packs), and some of the higher reqs for certain packs are just for the base game plus that one pack.  Running most or all packs together on high or ultra graphics settings takes more resources than any of those pages list.

If you'd like other suggestions, just post your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you, and I'll have a look.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 7 (805 Views)

★ Novice

Heres the link to the laptop: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-k403fa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7...

My limit is no higher than £800 uk based (preferably not Amazon).

Thanks for offering to look.

Message 6 of 7 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]

@gemma_drew2963  That laptop would really only handle medium settings, unless you didn't install the most demanding expansions, or you lowered the resolution, or you were okay with lower fps.  You can do a lot better for your budget.

To run Sims 4, all or most packs included, on ultra graphics settings, you'll need at least an Nvidia 1050, and preferably the newer and faster 1650 to give the laptop some room to accommodate future expansion packs.  The next faster card (a 1660 ti) comes in laptops that start around £900; the slower MX-series cards can really only handle high settings at best, unless you don't have the most demanding EPs installed or don't mind playing at a lower resolution or with lower framerates.  Besides, you might only save £50 going for a MX-series laptop, and that doesn't seem worth it if you can afford better.

The best option price-wise that I've seen is this Lenovo, which is customizable.  It starts at £650 with an Nvidia 1050, but you can upgrade to a 1650 for an extra £50.  The other upgrade you'll want is to  add a 256 GB solid state drive (+£50); if you really don't need much storage, you can remove the mechanical drive (-£50) for no net cost.  A better screen (+£10) would be nice but isn't required.  The other upgrades are unnecessary and wouldn't make a difference to Sims 4.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/81LKCTO1WWENGB0/cu...

If you don't like the Lenovo, or don't want to wait a few weeks for it to be assembled, this Asus is £750 and has a 1650 and a 512 GB solid state drive.  Its processor is equivalent to the Lenovo's.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7318984

This Dell is a bit pricey for the hardware, but some people like Dell products, or at least Dell-level customer service.  It's £800 for a 1650, the same processor in the Lenovo, and a 512 GB SSD.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming-and-games/dell-g3-15/spd/g-series-15-3590-laptop/cn35917

If you have other questions, or want to see other options, let me know.  And if you happen to be a student, let me know that too—a couple of sites offer student discounts, although their original prices are often higher than necessary, so a 15% discount might only be 5% cheaper than you'd find elsewhere.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 7 (778 Views)